X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shaun Lyon
    • Apr 2004
    • 3.0.0 'Gold'

FullText conversion problem

I've upgraded today to 3.5, everything works great...

However, about 2 hours ago I started the MySQL FullText conversion. It's completely tied up my server (I can't access anything... mail, control panel, etc.) and it's still going. Should I be concerned about this? Is there any way to stop it if I should? Please help!
  • Shaun Lyon
    • Apr 2004
    • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Please... I need help! Will rebooting my server cause a problem with my database if it's in the middle of this? I need to know... I'm literally stuck without any recourse and can't do anything!

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

Please wait at least 12 hours before bumping your posts.

Unfortunately I do not know how long this is supposed to take. Obviously this depends on the number of posts, the power and configuration of the server, and what else the server is doing.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Shaun Lyon
        • Apr 2004
        • 3.0.0 'Gold'

I didn't bump my post, Steve... I am desperately needing technical support, which I was under the impression I purchased with my licence.

This is a dedicated Dual Xeon server running a vBulletin board with 1.5 million posts.

Regardless of how long this is going to take... can you tell me what will happen if I interrupt the process? Like, rebooting my server? Will this disrupt the operation of my board? The search function? Isn't there *any* help you can provide me at this time?

Comment

• Steve Machol
          • Jul 2000

I do not know what will happen. If I knew I would have told you.

Yes, you have a right to support but sadly we cannot always guarantyee instant respinses. Sometimes an issue can only be answered by someone who unfortunately is not available 24 hours a day.

I have pointed the Devs to this thread so hopefully one of them will be able to help. It may not be instantly though.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Shaun Lyon
            • Apr 2004
            • 3.0.0 'Gold'

OK so I guess I should just let it continue to run and hope for the best. If I come back in 8 hours (it's late here), and it's still stuck on that "Search Type" page, what should I do?

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

Sorry, I don't know. I have asked the Devs to look at this thread.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                Former vBulletin Developer
                • May 2000
                • 1.1.x

You can end up with a corrupted post table if you restart the server. Two hours does seem extreme for creating this index. I wouldn't let it go 8 hours though but for the moment I would let it continue to run.

Comment

• freaky
                  • Jul 2000
                  • 3.5.x

how long did this end up taking?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Shaun Lyon
                    Regardless of how long this is going to take... can you tell me what will happen if I interrupt the process? Like, rebooting my server? Will this disrupt the operation of my board? The search function? Isn't there *any* help you can provide me at this time?
                    Rebooting the server can corrupt your database and cause you to lose data. Building the full-text indexes are pretty intensive on a large database and will take time. How much time depends on your server. If it times out you should run these queries manually from the MySQL Command Line.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...