Upgraded to 3.5, now forum slows down...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by encryption
    we're on a dedicated 3 GHZ server with a gig of ram on Superbs DC out of VA.... you can actually snag stuff at 8 MBit / Sec (I have)

so I know its not an ISP issue (cause I have 2 flawlessly performing servers with them)
    We mean your internet service provider, not your hosts

You have 50+kb of images to download before I can even get to the forum content..
    Your CSS is still inline

First page load was sorta slow, after that it was fine.

Comment

• encryption
      • May 2005

sorry yes..... long day syndrome..... at work (where I'm having issues), we're on a T1 Pipe
      www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
      www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• DJ RRebel
        • Jul 2002
        • 3.6.x

I checked out your site as well and it loads pretty darn fast ... if all you have to worry about is 3 second downloadtime, then consider yourself lucky!

As Zachery mentioned though, you might want to reduce some of the big pics up top!

Did you do all the customization yourself, or is it simply a skin you got somewhere? I've never really seen a forum look so different from the default while actually not being technically much diferent from the default!

Anyhow ... nice to see other Club Music people here in the vB world!
        Support the option to have forums in social groups:
        http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252093

Comment

• encryption
          • May 2005

Thanks RRebel.... yes what you're looking at is essentially a fixed width default template with just different cell / font colors and header image (and links to the radio stream) a graphic designer on the team and myself worked on it (him more work then me).... we modded the crap out of phpBB (we're still hosting 2 other phpBB forums) and we went at it with vBulletin as well

those images (flyers) on top are actually very small and load extremely fast, you can test out their load times on any other forum that's outside the "General" category for sake of comparison ....

as for the 3 second load time, if you're used to less than 0.4 ... everything else just seems like an eternity

Originally posted by DJ RRebel
          I checked out your site as well and it loads pretty darn fast ... if all you have to worry about is 3 second downloadtime, then consider yourself lucky!

As Zachery mentioned though, you might want to reduce some of the big pics up top!

Did you do all the customization yourself, or is it simply a skin you got somewhere? I've never really seen a forum look so different from the default while actually not being technically much diferent from the default!

Anyhow ... nice to see other Club Music people here in the vB world!

Comment

• cbiweb
            • Apr 2004
            • 4.1.x

I must agree, on a T1 line 3 seconds would make it feel like a 56k modem.
            ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• Aros
              • Jun 2002
              • 3.7.x

It may have to do with your cache, perhaps your browser hasn't entirely cached the page yet because of the upgrade to vBulletin 3.5 (source changing severely) hence making the images download. Just a guess though!
              I suggest you store your CSS as an external file (vBulletin options), this will definitely help loading your page faster.
              Btw, it loaded for me within 2 seconds. Quite fast!

Comment

• encryption
                • May 2005

would that be the "Store CSS Stylesheets as Files?" option ??

anyhow I've attached a screenshot of the pause in IE.... as you can see the scroll bar on the right has not loaded at all and neither have the threads ...
                Attached Files

Comment

• Aros
                  • Jun 2002
                  • 3.7.x

Yes that the option, be sure to set the CHMOD settings correctly.
                  As to your screenshot, I'm sure there's no-one that doubts you are telling the truth

Comment

• DJ RRebel
                    • Jul 2002
                    • 3.6.x

I think most forums pause a bit there ... mainly because the first part is so quick, but then the contents of the entire main table needs to be generated before it shows.

[Off topic, but where do you host your stream? How many listeners can you have at one time?]
                    Support the option to have forums in social groups:
                    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252093

Comment

• encryption
                      • May 2005

@ Aros - thanks I'll give that a go....

@RRebel - We have our own dedicated server to host our stream. As for listener count, it's set at 100 so far but since the station is fairly new, we havent really gone past 80 @ 128 kbps (we also have a 48 kbps stream for dialup and are considering adding AAC Plus).

Comment

• encryption
                        • May 2005

update... that seemed to have made a marginal improvement.... thanks for that tip Aros....

Comment

• coinwash
                          • Apr 2003

Loading slower for me since the up grade to 3.5.0 hmmm ??

Comment

• testpig
                            • Nov 2003
                            • 3.5.x

I am also noticing a pause in my forum. I use an Xtreme Pixels Ambience skin so not sure if this is the issue....but it seemed good before upgrading.

The page loads the background... and then pauses before displaying anything else, which has me thinking its loading the images for the skin (as previously stated above).

*Edit* I've applied the "store stylesheets externally" setting and the difference is remarkable! No more delays......I highly recommend this to anyone running a skin

Thumbs up VB crew. Once again a great addition, although vB 3.5 is just tops anyway!
                            Last edited by testpig; Sat 15 Oct '05, 7:32pm.

Comment

• belindaj
                              • Aug 2002

We're also having some users who are experienceing a little bit of problem with slowness and images not loading so I'm following this thread as I research the problem. (Me personally - I can't duplicate the probelm - my forums have been lightning fast ever since the upgrade here on MY computer anyway - grrr)

To confirm - in the ACP options - this CSS setting would be under Style and Language Settings: Store CSS Stylesheets as Files? (changing this to "yes" instead of "no" may have a performance improvement?)

And I did verify that the vbulletin_css directory existed below clientscript - and it was set to 755 - is that sufficient write/delete permissions for the folder or should it be 777?

Thanks

Comment

• Zachery
                                Former vBulletin Support
                                • Jul 2002

vB needs to be able to write to the directory, but not execute. Try and see, if files appear, then you don't need to change a thing. If they don't well

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...