X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • attroll
    • Jan 2003
    • 4.2.X

Slave Database Configuration?

I would like to know more about this function that is in the new 3.5 config. Is there documentation somewhere that talks about this or explains it? This is all the config file says:

If you have multiple database backends, this is the information for your slave server. If you are not 100% sure you need to fill in this information,
    do not change any of the values here.

$config['SlaveServer']['servername'] = '';
    $config['SlaveServer']['username'] = '';
    $config['SlaveServer']['password'] = '';
    $config['SlaveServer']['usepconnect'] = 0;
  • IAMWhitey
    • Oct 2003

bump for more info on this as well

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

It is used for installations that have MySQL replication for their vBulletin installation.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• attroll
        • Jan 2003
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        It is used for installations that have MySQL replication for their vBulletin installation.
        OK. What ever that means. I suppose if I don't know what it means then I don't need to worry? Is there a link or some post that discribes this more?

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

It's one of those things that if you have to ask, you don't need it.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Skynet-ITS
            • Dec 2004

Actually, I've got it and I still need to ask :-p

We've got a master-master replication setup, with obviously only one of them used as master since mysql doesn't support replicated sequences yet.

So, the question is, what will vbulletin use the slave server info for ? Is it sufficiently intelligent to only use it for reads, or will it play silly and mess up my database consistency by writing as well ?

Comment

• scudd
              • Sep 2006

I could do with some info on this as well, we have a dedicated server and a site that uses huge amounts of mysql data when the site is loaded, if we were get another server and bang in a slave would 'database1' keep 'database2' up to date automatically and resort to that should the 'database1' mysql become overload with requests?

Any info would be appreciated...

Or, better still, if you could let me know how you keep vB running when 1000+ people all login, in the space of 10 mins on a saturday afternoon I would love to know? we've done just about every tweak and optimisation in the book, and still get probs when 800+ members are logged in.. if you want to see it collapse for yourself go to: http://www.fsicrew.info/ at 3pm gmt on any satrurday..
              Last edited by scudd; Wed 12 Dec '07, 6:16pm.

Comment

• FireFish
                • Jan 2006
                • 5.3.x

Slave Database - Performance Enhancements?

Will having a slave database enhance any performance in my forum? Is it a clone of the Primary or is it a cache for recent queries?

Comment

• arisythila
                  • Mar 2007

Bump to find out more information about this.

I'm basically wanting to have vBulletin update two databases on two different servers. and if primary is down, it uses secondary, or vice versa..

Is this what this function is used for?

Thanks

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by arisythila
                    Bump to find out more information about this.

I'm basically wanting to have vBulletin update two databases on two different servers. and if primary is down, it uses secondary, or vice versa..

Is this what this function is used for?

Thanks
                    No,

A Master-Slave setup is for preformance. You send write queries to the master server, and most read queries to the slave server. It helps improve preformance becasue write queries lock tables/rows depending on the database table type, and reads do not.

Comment

• FireFish
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                      No,

A Master-Slave setup is for preformance. You send write queries to the master server, and most read queries to the slave server. It helps improve preformance becasue write queries lock tables/rows depending on the database table type, and reads do not.
                      So, . . you'd suggest it for a forum that has X number of users a day, on average.

What's the X?

I know it would vary on server performance, but, just a ballpark average.

1,000? 10,000? 100,000? 900,000 users a day?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...