• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KrON
    • Jan 2002
    • 3.6.x

ahh, like innodb, it doesn't support fulltext
    Kyle Christensen
    PbNation.com - one of the biggest and busiest vbulletin forums on the net!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Well that bites. As I said, didn't know it was possible, just looking for ways to increase performance on large sites without requiring a large scale upgrade to Oracle.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• TonyPBN
        • Apr 2001
        • 3.6.x

In abstract I would like to see some way of archiving old information. After x days the information becomes read-only so it can be moved into an area that does not have to deal with writes. Though I don't know how showthread or forumdisplay would handle this but it should be seamless during browsing. If vbulletin does more work towards SEO most of this information, since it's old and static, could probably be searched via google and other engines in similar fashion as the current /archive.

Helping take the thread more off-topic, sorry.
        Tony Rieker | Founder of PBNation.com - one of the LARGEST vBulletin forums on the net!

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
          • Sep 2001

I think the ability to have a seperate archived posts table would be good performance boost even for smaller sites like my own but something along the lines of what Wayne suggestion would be better... I think it would need a master posts table with just forumid, tableid and post id but would that that might be a really wicked join.
          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• ALanJay
            • Oct 2001

Kron, Mike and John,

Very interesting discussion I was put onto the idea of memcached servers by eva2000 (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=966368) it sounded like an interesting option but I'm no loger so sure.

A brief bit of background we have a popular vBulletin site (peak users 9,000 - most days most of the day over 7,500) doing about 600-800,000 page views per day.

We have 5 front end HTML load servers behind an Equalizer 350 (from coyotepoint) load balancer. And a dedicated mySQL machine (dual opteron 248; 8Gb RAM; RAID 10 - 15k SCSI disks).

We have been (with eve2000's help) going through optimizing our current server configuration but we are planning for next year and historically we see a 100% growth in the site every 12 months.

It may not happen next year but we need to plan as if it is

There seem to be two paths to go down:

a) vb3.5 memcached (though not sure how one does this or how well it works).

b) use a software aplication load balancer (EMIC's m/cluster seems to be the only one out there - http://www.emicnetworks.com ) - the only problem with this seems to be price assuming it delivers what it promises.

To post to our site you have to be a member and the split between memebrs and guests is about 1 (member) to 3.5 (guests) though obviously most of the time people are reading and not posting.

The question is how complicated will vb3.5 memcached be to configure?
            And will it meet our requirements?
            Last edited by ALanJay; Thu 3 Nov '05, 11:11am.

Comment

• KrON
              • Jan 2002
              • 3.6.x

So, now that 3.5.0 is out, has anyone tried it with memcached yet?
              Kyle Christensen
              PbNation.com - one of the biggest and busiest vbulletin forums on the net!

Comment

• freaky
                • Jul 2000
                • 3.5.x

I am running 5 Dual Xeon 3.06 HT web servers with a CP load balancer and a quad dual-core Opteron 875 Sun v40z with 16gb of ram and raid 10 array of 15k disks. Even with 8 cores running at 2.2Ghz running SLES 64-bit, it still slows down a bit at peak times. Id love to try out memcache or use a memcached server if vb supported this out of the box.

Comment

• ALanJay
                  • Oct 2001

Originally posted by freaky
                  I am running 5 Dual Xeon 3.06 HT web servers with a CP load balancer and a quad dual-core Opteron 875 Sun v40z with 16gb of ram and raid 10 array of 15k disks. Even with 8 cores running at 2.2Ghz running SLES 64-bit, it still slows down a bit at peak times. Id love to try out memcache or use a memcached server if vb supported this out of the box.
                  How many concurrent users and traffic does such a mySQL server support?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...