• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tRichard
    • May 2005
    • 3.0.0 Beta 5

upgrading database

hi there
    ive recently updated my forum from Version 3.0.0 Beta 5 to vBulletin Version 3.0.7. Now ive done a stupid thing. My previous forum was located at /forum and the new forum at /forums.
    When I ran the installation file for installing the new forum, it said that a database had already been made (obviously from my old forum). I then backed up the old database, deleted all tables and entries from the database, and created a new database for the new forum. Now my backed up database is sitting on my harddrive (+-20mb) and is in format .php but contains sql code. The new forum installed fine but I was wondering now how to import the data from the backed-up db into the new db?
    Thanx in advance for help.
    Peace, Rich
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

You will need to restore the db backup to a new database. Once you do this you will be able to use Impex to import it.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• tRichard
      • May 2005
      • 3.0.0 Beta 5

how exactly would i restore the db backup to a new database?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

The only reliable method of restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. Please see the instructions here:

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• tRichard
          • May 2005
          • 3.0.0 Beta 5

Thanx steve. I followed that link and first tried with phpMyAdmin, which did not want to upload the backup file (too big maybe)..the db filename is upgrade1.php

So I then decided to followed the instructions 'Restoring The Database via SSH/Telnet' and downloaded PuTTy, I logged into my server, uploaded my db (upgrade1.php) to server via ftp and now i need some more help..
          If I backup the server would the original tables still exist, or will the new db replace everything? Would doing this affect the new vBulletins templates or just add some content into existing tables?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Backup up and restoring a database will replace all the vB tables and data with the info from the backup db.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• tRichard
              • May 2005
              • 3.0.0 Beta 5

sorry i'm really not getting this work. Firstly, why is my db backup in .php format? Secondly, everytime i type the following:

mysql -u dbusername -p databasename < /backup/upgrade1.php

in PuTTy's command prompt (changin the bold according), i get the error msg "no such file or directory"..
              pls help me i'm not sure what else to do

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

This means this directory and file don't exist:

/backup/upgrade1.php

You need to either use the correct path, or change your directory to the one that has the backup file and leave off the path info.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• tRichard
                  • May 2005
                  • 3.0.0 Beta 5

hmmm i guess i better learn some putty commands, i have no idea what directory i'm in when i log in.

Comment

• tRichard
                    • May 2005
                    • 3.0.0 Beta 5

ok i changed to the directory of the backedup db and ran the mysql command again:

mysql -u dbusername -p databasename < upgrade1.php

and got the error:
                    "Enter password: ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'dbusername@localhost.localdomain' (Using password: YES)"

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

Please see this thread for the causes of the 'access denied' error:

If you are getting the above error, this means either: 1. One or more of the following is wrong in your config.php file: - $config['Database']['dbname'] - $config['MasterServer']['servername'] (except in rare cases, this should almost always be left as 'localhost' or '127.0.0.1') - $config['MasterServer']['username'] -

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...