X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • erinch
    • Jun 2005

I hate being a newbie: questions

Hi--
    I just purchased 4 licenses for 4 different boards, and am trying to get up to speed. Previous user of Ultimate Bulletin Board, which is no longer cutting the mustard. Brand new template at http://kiskichat.kiskipby.org

1) I've been looking around, but can't find any "here's the best way to find new templates which you don't have to customize yourself." Any good suggestions on the fastest way to customize?

2. ) Smilies
    I did a search and found a few smiley sites. I would like to customize this board so the smilies display on the side of the posting window as they do on the disboards. (www.disboards.com). Is there an explanation anywhere of how to do that? If you want to find more to upload, do you just do a search? Any official "best" sites?

3) How do you import a UBB board?

thanks for any good advice on getting up to speed.
    Erin Cox-Holmes
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

1. There are a number of free vBulletin Styles available to licensed customers here:

This forum contains free vB styles available for downloading by licensed customers.

2. Sorry, I don't understand the question.

3. Which version of UBB? Here is the status of the current vB3 importers:

Here is the Online Manual for the Impex system:
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• erinch
      • Jun 2005

1. Thanks; I will check them out.
      2. I am asking
      a. how to display smilies--the little emoticons--on the side of the reply to thread screen. There is a huge collection on the disboards (where I found vBulletin), but you have some right here. When I look at the post thread on my new default settings board, there are no smilies on the post reply screen. I have the generic set enabled in the admin settings, but can't find a setting to get them to display. Sorry to be dumb.

b. State of the art site to download more smilies?

3. It's UBB 6.1.0.3. I'll check out the manual.

I forgot to ask--where would I find instructions on adding images/headers/top banners, etc.

thanks so much for your time.
      Erin Cox-Holmes

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

2. ake sure the other advanced editors are enabled:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Message Posting Interface Options -> Enable Clickable Message Formatting Controls

And make sure you have selected one of the advanced editors in your:

User CP -> Edit Options -> Message Editor Interface

4. Here is the online documentation for styles and templates:

And here are color maps for vB3 in the online manual:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• angelicGrace
          • Jun 2004

Some of my fav. smilies sites are the following. Infact my forum uses over 400 smilies and 99% of them came from these sites.

Best Smilies
          Click Smilies
          Planet Smilies
          A Special Connection
          Blackmax
          my smilies
          Fools house
          maze guy
          tcwozere
          phpbbinfo

a side note: For smilies to show up with the quick reply box you will need to check out www.vbulliten.org for a hack.

Comment

• Curly27
            • Jun 2005

I hate being a newbie also...

I upload a smilie successfully, but it is a RED X

please help.

Comment

• southernlady
              • May 2005
              • 4.0.x

Hey guys, smilies are easy, ONCE you get the hang of it...I promise.

And I've found several sources but the best place to ASK is over at The Admin Zone Forums

As far as putting them in, go to Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Add New Smilie -> Add Multiple Smilies -> and then click the Add Smilies button (assuming you have the smilies in your /forum/images/smilies folder (or whatever you called the /forum part)

When you click that button, you should bring up all the smilies in your folder. And I'm even adding a picture to show you what I mean...so click on it and you will see what it should look like when you have added your smilies in the right place.

IF you have that screen, then click in the box on the right and it adds the smilies.

NOW, to avoid problems with your text box, make sure you put 2's in the bigger smilies Display Order and 1's in the smaller ones Display Order but you have to do that under Smilie Manager -> Edit Smilie Categories -> [Edit]

I hope this helps, guys. Liz
              Attached Files
              Secret City Designs

Comment

• desertcities
                • Aug 2004

Numbering of Smilies, 1 = page 1 or display in editor?

I'm a bit confused on the numbering of the smilies within the Admin > CP > Smilies > Smilies Manager.

If I have set for my VB editors (standard and advanced) for 25 smilies, does it mean the first 25 smilies in my Smilies Manager should all be set to "1" ?

All of my smilies seem to be set to "1"

Should I number all of the smilies I want displayed in my message editors labled as "1" and everything else as "2" ?

Or if I display 25 smilies per page in the Smilies Manager and I have 10 pages, do I make each page of smilies 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 and number all smilies on each page accordingly?

I'm getting confused on the simplest of things.

Thank you very much.

Mark
                Desert Cities - where people and the desert come together - http://www.desertcities.net

Comment

• southernlady
                  • May 2005
                  • 4.0.x

desertcities, that confused me too!

All of my smilies seem to be set to "1"

Should I number all of the smilies I want displayed in my message editors labled as "1" and everything else as "2" ?
                  Yes, that way they show up in the box under rotation. Make sure you label the big ones as 2 and the little ones as 1 or you will have issues with your box wandering off the page.

Or if I display 25 smilies per page in the Smilies Manager and I have 10 pages, do I make each page of smilies 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 and number all smilies on each page accordingly?
                  No, cause you will have some smilies on the back pages that belong on the front and some one the front that belong on the back.

I currently have almost 400 and I found that if I temporarily display them 200 to a page, I can actually see them better and get a better idea of where they all go. It doesn't stay 200 cause the default is 20. Liz
                  Secret City Designs

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...