Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shan
    • Feb 2004

Large File Attachment Problems

Hi all, me again. Probably with another stupid question.

I am haveing a problem with large attachments. I have configured the forum via the AdminCP to allow ZIP files of up to 35MB to be attached to posts. When I try to upload a file that large however, it sits for quite sometime then eventually goes to a screen saying "Page Not Found"

I turned on the quick stats option and noticed two things:

1. PHP Max upload size is 2MB
    2. Maximum Packet size is 1MB

Do either of these need to be changed to allow for the larger files? If so, how do I change them? I am hosting my own server and it is a Windows install.

Thanks in advance.

Shan
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Yes, php max upload would need to be changed as well as maximum packet size i think an apache varible must aslo be changed, max_execution time, if you search the forums you can find the anwsers.

Comment

• shan
      • Feb 2004

I did search the forums but I could not find specific info on how to get it working with Windows. There are several posts like yours that say change this and change that but I can find none that tell me where to change it. If it is ASP and MsSQL, I am all good, but I am new to MySQL and PHP and need a bit more hand-holding.

Any help would be appreciated.

Shan

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

They are changes to ini's and config files. Ill take a few moments to look around and get back, Are you using apache or IIS? i know i can find the changes for apache, but im not sure about windows.

Comment

• shan
          • Feb 2004

IIS 6.0...but I can handle any of the changes needed there. Just need to know what I have to change in PHP and MySQL.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

In addition to the vB settings, the allowed size of the attachments depends on the PHP and MySQL configuration. You may need to check and changechange the upload size for both PHP and for MySQL. Note, you'll need to have root access to the server to do this (or have your host do it.) Make these changes to php.ini:

upload_max_filesize = xM

..and my.cnf

set-variable=max_allowed_packet=xM

Also take a look at this:

I think that if you run a search on this board about 'memory_limit' and 'max_execution_time', one of my threads will show up :) Here are my settings before I continue: Server Type WINNT / PHP v4.2.2 File Uploads = On MySQL v3.23.54-nt PHP Maximum Upload Size 80M PHP Max Post Size 80M PHP Memory Limit N/A (even
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• shan
              • Feb 2004

Thanks Steve. Amazes me you guys don't charge more for vBulletin. The support alone would make me pay it.

As always you guys rock!

Comment

• shan
                • Feb 2004

So, these two were not in my PHP.ini. Should I just add them?

post_max_size
                memory_limit

If so, do I use the same verbage? (ex. =50M)

Shan

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

I've never used those settings myself. I assume you'd enter them in the same format as other php.ini settings.

Honestly, I'd be surpirsed if you ever got 35MB uploads to the forum to work on a consistent basis. Let us know how it turns out.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• shan
                    • Feb 2004

So I got it set up so that now the AdminCP reports this:

PHP Maximum Upload Size 75M
                    PHP Memory Limit None
                    PHP Max Post Size 100M
                    MySQL Maximum Packet Size 100M

Then when I do my upload, I get this error:

Invalid SQL

INSERT INTO ATTACHMENT

Then it hangs.

Is this why you stated that you would be surprised to see if work consistently. Am I spinning my wheels here?

Shan

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

Sorry, I've given all the info I have on making large attachments work. Maybe someone else will have an idea.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• shan
                        • Feb 2004

Fair enough. Anyone else have anything they can add? Are large attachments just ineherntly unstable with VB? Would it matter if I used a directory structure rather than the DB?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Shan

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

The main problem as I see it is the time it would take for someone to upload or download a 35MB file. Not everyone has broadband.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                            Former vBulletin Developer
                            • May 2000
                            • 1.1.x

If you enable attachments as files you will have a better chance at getting this to work.

Comment

• JTotten
                              • Aug 2003

I have no problems uploading 40MB files into the filesystem. I have found that having that large of files and / or large ammounts of files in the SQL database can cause severe slowdowns as well.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...