Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • harveya
    • Aug 2003

Help can't log in after upgrade

I am moving my forum onto a managed server from a shared server. Whilst doing this I have decided to do the upgrade to RC4 from Beta 5 which has been running OK. I have backed up the existing database, copied all the forum files over, created a new MySQL database and restored the existing backup onto this to create the required Beta 5 format database.

I can now log on to AdminCP, log in to the normal forums and basically do anything I can do on the production one.

However having run the RC4 upgrade on the new forum which runs through OK, I then cannot log in to AdminCP. It keeps telling me wrong user/password combination even though the user/password that worked before on the Beta5 install.

I have deleted the cookies, restarted, gone in to phpMyAdmin and checked the cookie path and domain all to no avail.

I have gone through this whole procedure 5 times just to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong but the same happens every time.

The two forums are on different domains, different hardware.

I have even tried logging on the admincp using mozilla rather than IE and the same happens here.

What am I doing wrong here?. I've tried the Fix_login script as well. I'm totally baffled here. I want to run the two forums side by side so that I can make sure I get all the custom settings to the page format and colors OK before doing an upgrade on the production forum, backing up the database and transferring it onto the new forum then shutting down the old one.

Cheers
    Andy
  • etones
    • Sep 2000

read the sticky at the top of the forum.

<edit> opps, i see you already have! Sorry </edit>

Taz
    http://www.e-tones.co.uk - The best site on the net for mobile phones.

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

Are you sure you ran fix_login.php correctly?

I type in my username and password...it says 'Thank you for Logging In' and it brings me back to the login. ...and every time, it adds an &amp; to the query string (ignore the brackets...the s was stripped when I posted this): non-pro/testvb/admincp/?&amp;&amp;&amp;[s]=b5a4940b657941fe8515e1ca1a4b2d7f
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• harveya
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        Are you sure you ran fix_login.php correctly?

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...257#post486257
        Steve.

I think so - I ran it every time I did the upgrade. I am sure it must be a cookie problem but for the life of me I can't think where I am going wrong. I might just take the live board down and try doing that one. I'll take a backup and then I can always rebuild it if it doesn't work. I'll post my results from that one and take it from there.

Interestingly it worked fine on a clean install but then I can't get the backup loaded - even though I bult a second test one and upgraded the database, backed it up, copied it across, it then stopped me accessing Admincp.

Cheers
        Andy

Comment

• harveya
          • Aug 2003

OK so I found another thing that maybe pointing towards where the problem is. Using phpMyAdmin I made sure that the bburl is set to the correct domain and address (for the test site rather than the original site). I had to do this in both vb3_setting and setting tables.

However having done the upgrade again I can exceed my allowed login attempts and if I go to the lost password option it points me back to the lost password form on my live site not the test site.

Where is this address stored. Had a look in the login.php script and it is loaded from an array which seems to be loaded from a template - gone totally above my head now!.

OK some more information.

In my VB3 Beta 5 installation, my config.php shows using vb3_ prefix for tables, in the upgraded one it shows not using vb3_ prefix. However the admin userid is not in the non prefixed tables, neither are any of the other users.

All the users are in th vb_3 prefixed tables however if I edit config.php to use the vb3_ prefixed tables I get a "there is a problem with the database" message when I go to the admincp index/login page.

Whats going on?.

Cheers
          Andy
          Last edited by harveya; Thu 4 Mar '04, 8:03am. Reason: added information

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Sorry but my head is spinning trying to make sense of that info. First things first. In phpMyAdmin, try emptying the password field for your userid. This will allow you to login to the Admin CP with a blank password. Immediately pull up your user profile and add your password back in. Then go into the vBuleltin Options and reset your cookie domain and path. Preferably these should be blank and '/' respectively. Then save these changes.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• harveya
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              Sorry but my head is spinning trying to make sense of that info. First things first. In phpMyAdmin, try emptying the password field for your userid. This will allow you to login to the Admin CP with a blank password. Immediately pull up your user profile and add your password back in. Then go into the vBuleltin Options and reset your cookie domain and path. Preferably these should be blank and '/' respectively. Then save these changes.
              Steve.

That fixed it but bought up another problem. The board is now using the non vb3 prefixed tables. All the setup in the existing forum is using the vb3 prefixed tables. When I upgrade the board it moves over and uses the other tables however non of the setup, messages, users etc is in those tables.

So in config.php I declare the vb3 prefix however now the board says there is a problem with the database when I go to log in.

I fixed the login problem by changing the admin user in the non vb3 tables as it wasn't called admin in those ones.

How do I move the info in the vb3 tables to the other tables so that I can recover all the last 8 months of posts and setup. I have over 20,000 posts in the board and 1130 members.

Thanks for your help.

Plus despite these problems I love Vbulletin and think it is the best board out there.

Added info.

Actually I'm just thinking I know what the problem is. I didn't edit the config.php file to use the vb3 tables before upgrading. Just going to do it again to prove whether I'm right this time using the edited config.php.

Cheers
              Andy
              Last edited by harveya; Thu 4 Mar '04, 11:18pm. Reason: More information

Comment

• harveya
                • Aug 2003

OK so I tried to do the upgrade with $tableprefix set to vb3_ but the upgrade script fails at upgrade1.php.

However I went straight to upgrade4.php from here and it worked OK and I'm in.

However I now see none of the new styles, it has not loaded the new buttons and more worryingly, although on forumhome I see that forums have posts in them, I don't see any of the posts when I go into the forums themselves.

Cheers

Added.

OK I reverted the styles and got the menu back, however I still can't see any posts in the forums. On the latest post showing on forumhome I can actually open the message and it shows OK, however if I go into that forum, no messages show. I have set all forums to show all threads, set my User profile to show all threads. Still nothing.
                Last edited by harveya; Fri 5 Mar '04, 12:38am. Reason: New information

Comment

• harveya
                  • Aug 2003

All sorted.

Learnt a lot about what I need to do now.

Had to revert templates that I hadn't changed (navbar, postbit and forumdisplay).

Deleted all the old tables from the database (the non vb3 prefix ones). Changed the names of all the vb3 tables to non prefix ones.

Did the upgrade, reverted the templates, now works great.

Just need to do the modifications to add a couple of buttons to the navbar and it's all OK.

Thanks Steve for your input, don't think I would have thought laterally enough without your help.

Cheers
                  Andy

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

No problem. I also find that it helps when I go to sleep and come back later to find that someone figured this out all by themselves.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...