X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • padmaster
    • Mar 2003
    • 3.0.0 Beta 5

IP ban didn't work?

I did an IP ban on the nameprotect spider the other day (12.175.0.35). It was viewing a thread when I made the change. I then went back to the who's online and it disappeared shortly afterwards. I figured the IP ban had worked. The next day I saw it was back viewing members list with these icons . I have my board set "guests cannot view members list" so I would expect to see the icon when a guest is trying to view the members list. I would also expect the nameprotect spider to not even be able to view the board at all with an IP ban.

Did my IP ban not work? Is this spider immune to IP bans?
  • bromyaur
    • Jan 2002
    • 3.6.x

probably getting the error screen "sorry the administrator has banned your ip address"

Comment

• padmaster
      • Mar 2003
      • 3.0.0 Beta 5

Hey what's up bromy

I just reread the IP ban description and it clearly says that the IP ban only prevents that IP from registering or posting.......so what would be the point in doing an IP ban on a spider(guest) that can't register anyway?

I don't want the spider to even view my board. It doesn't index anything, it's only looking for something to sue me over

Comment

• bromyaur
        • Jan 2002
        • 3.6.x

Howdy...

I think the ip ban description may be lacking in information. If you ban an ip they would get the banned ip error no matter what they did. At least has been my experience in the past. The ip ban description should maybe read "IP ban will prevent the person from viewing your board completely" Unless that has changed, I highly doubt it, I'm pretty much sure they would get that error no matter where or what they were doing on your board.

I dont think that spider is being able to view your board at all.

Comment

• padmaster
          • Mar 2003
          • 3.0.0 Beta 5

Then why is it showing in the who's online viewing members list?

Comment

• padmaster
            • Mar 2003
            • 3.0.0 Beta 5

This morning it was viewing another thread......anyone got any explanations?

Comment

• Tungsten
              • Jan 2002
              • 3.0.0 Beta 7

Originally posted by padmaster
              This morning it was viewing another thread......anyone got any explanations?
              Because it is directly accessing a complete URL for one of your threads; a thread that it had spidered previously. It is indeed getting the access denied message. vBulletin is merely telling you what page the banned "user" tried to hit.

Comment

• padmaster
                • Mar 2003
                • 3.0.0 Beta 5

okie dokie, thanks Tungsten.

Comment

• conqsoft
                  • Jul 2003
                  • 3.6.x

You can't use a robots.txt to block this particular spider? If not, you could use a .htaccess file to block an IP also.
                  vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

• padmaster
                    • Mar 2003
                    • 3.0.0 Beta 5

Would the .htaccess prevent it from even getting the IP ban error message? Maybe give it a 404 or page cannot be displayed? I haven't played around with .htaccess yet....still learning here

Comment

• ADDForums
                      • Jun 2004

I just added the spider name list and right away I found a NP bot on my site. Same IP: 12.175.0.35

Good to know that they might only have one IP they are using.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...