Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KCMO
    • May 2002

No custom avatars till...

Can someone tell me how I would fix this. Prior to upgrading to RC4 I was running a 2x version and I had my board set up so that registered users couldn't add their own custom avatar till the reached a post count of 76. Can someone tell how I'd go about reseting this with vb3?

Also, I've added rank titles in for registered members and they are showing up but so is the word "registered user" inside threads under their name. How do I turn that off so just my assigned rank title shows up under their name?
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Its done now by usergroup promotion and secondary usergroups or new primarys.

Add a new usergroup that can have custom avatars, set your public to no avatars,

Set a promotion up to be based on posts, when they have enuf posts they get moved into the new usergroup that has Access to custom avatars.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
      • Dec 2000
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by gamingevolved
      Can someone tell me how I would fix this. Prior to upgrading to RC4 I was running a 2x version and I had my board set up so that registered users couldn't add their own custom avatar till the reached a post count of 76. Can someone tell how I'd go about reseting this with vb3?
      The custom avatar permission is a usergroup permission. You can restrict custom avatars by post count by disabling that permission for current groups in your:

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager

...and creating a new usergroup that only has permission to use custom avatars. Then setup a promotion for that group based on post count in your:

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Promotions

edit: doh! beat me

Comment

• KCMO
        • May 2002

Alright, here is what I did. I changed my registered group to be able to upload custom avatars. I created a new group called "probation" and set a promotion up for when they reach 76 posts they are moved over to registered status. Now, how do I tell VB that when someone registers to put them into the probation group as default instead of registered?

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

Try it the otherway around

Registered has limited, then move them into a new group that does have access.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
            • Dec 2000
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by gamingevolved

Now, how do I tell VB that when someone registers to put them into the probation group as default instead of registered?
            That would require modifying the code. You should switch the way you have the permissions setup.

Keep in mind that users can belong to multiple groups. You could set the Registered group so they can't use custom avatars, and setup another group so they can. Then set the promotion to add the 'custom avatar' group as a secondary group membership. This will make it easier to change your permission setup later on.

Comment

• KCMO
              • May 2002

What I was afraid of was that since I was setting this up for the first time that the vb software wouldn't look at the people I already have in the group and not promote the 900+ members I have in there. Thanks guys, I'll go reverse things and see how it turns out.

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

If your worried about them not being promoted right away, go to the Schedualed tasks and run the usergroup promotions one

Comment

• KCMO
                  • May 2002

thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate it! I think I have it set up and working now. I'd of had no clue without your help VB3 is so different, is gonna take some time to get used to.

Comment

• BBQ
                    • Nov 2003

I don't understand the second usergroup thing.

Can i read somewhere on what it is, and what it does?

I mean, when i read this thread i thought the second group would just add an extra rule/ability to the primairy group but when i looked in the cp i see that the new group is a normal usergroup with ALL options availible.
                    So how does the promotion work? The users get moved to the new group or is the new group added as secondairy group to the user?
                    And does this mean that i have to set ALL forum permission on the new group to be identical to the primaire group? Cause in that case i would have to make a new "shadow" usergroup for EACH of my primaire groups and i doubt that's what you mean?

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                      • Dec 2000
                      • 3.6.x

Here is the usergroup general help topic that will be included in the next version of vB3. It explains the roles of primary and secondary usergroups:

vBulletin's usergroup system, like any usergroup system, is used for managing forum permissions. You can manage forum permissions by putting users into groups and setting permissions for the groups. In addition, vBulletin takes usergroups to a new level by allowing users to belong to multiple groups and to submit join requests for groups. On top of this, vBulletin lets you setup group promotions to automatically change a user's group memberships when certain conditions are met.

Usergroup permissions have two levels to them, the first of which is the usergroup permissions that are set in the Usergroup Manager. By default, a user will have these permissions everywhere on your forums. If you want to set exceptions to default usergroup permissions then you can do so by editing usergroup permissions at the forum-level on the Forum Permissions page. On the Forum Permissions page you can set group permissions on a per-forum basis. The Calendar Permissions page provides similar functionality for calendars. Other usergroup permissions can only be set at the highest usergroup-level in the Usergroup Manager.

vBulletin also allows users to belong to multiple usergroups. There are two kinds of usergroups, primary and secondary (also called member groups). A user can belong to only one primary group but can belong to any number of secondary groups. A user's primary group is used to define their base forum permissions; at a minimum, a user will always have their primary group's forum permissions. Secondary groups, on the other hand, can be used to grant additional permissions that are not granted by a user's primary group.

For secondary groups to be able to affect a user's permissions, the user's primary group needs to have the "Allow Users to have Member Groups" option enabled in the Usergroup Manager. The way the overlapping of primary and secondary permissions works is that the user is always given the "greater" of the multiple settings for the same permission. For example, if a user's primary group has "Can View Forum" set to No and one of the same user's secondary groups has "Can View Forum" set to Yes, then the user's final setting for that permission will be Yes. Numeric group permissions overlap in a similar way, except instead of Yes or No the user is given the more lenient of the two numbers. Possible applications of secondary groups for forum permissions include granting access to a private forum where multiple primary groups can have access. The primary groups in question would have null access to the private forum set on the Forum Permissions page. The secondary group would have all permissions set to No in the Usergroup Manager but would have forum-level access to the private forum set on the Forum Permissions page. The result of adding a user to this secondary group would be that its "Yes" permissions for the private forum would override the null access of their primary group. This is much more convenient than setting up redundant permissions for additional primary groups that have access to the private forum, which is what would need to be done without secondary groups.

If the user's primary group does not have the "Allow Users to have Member Groups" option enabled in the Usergroup Manager then secondary group memberships will have no effect on the their permissions. Secondary groups serve no purpose in this case. The only reason this option should be disabled in a primary group is if the group is a banned group, in which case you don't want secondary group memberships to override the null access of the banned group.

Another feature of vBulletin's usergroup system is the ability for users to request memberships into groups. In this way vBulletin allows users to request forum permissions because forum permissions are controlled with group memberships. Users can request to join a group on the Group Memberships page in their User CP. Users can only request to join custom groups that have the "Public (Joinable) Custom Usergroups" option enabled in the Usergroup Manager. You can manage join requests on the Join Requests page. Optionally, you can appoint group leaders in the Usergroup Manager that can manage join requests for their group on the Group Memberships page in their User CP.

vBulletin's usergroup system also supports group promotions based on certain conditions. Promotions are used to change a user's group memberships when they reach a certain reputation level, number of days registered, and / or post count. Promotions used in conjunction with user reputations can be especially powerful (see the general help topic for User Reputations). You can manage your promotions on the Promotions page.
                      So basically, you can set the secondary group's permissions to "No" except for the permissions you want to grant. "No" permissions on secondary groups have no effect on permissions.

Promotions can be used to manipulate primary or secondary group memberships. Which one you should use depends on how your want to structure your forum permissions.

Comment

• BBQ
                        • Nov 2003

Sweet!

Thank you for the expaination Jake.
                        This sounds like a great addition, one which i must try immediatly

Comment

• VirginiaCustoms
                          • Feb 2004

I changed my forum so that people with less then 30 posts are "registered users" who do not have the option to make a signature, have an avatar etc etc

once users reach 30 posts they are now "power user" and can upload avatars, use sigs etc...

What can I do so that all the people who have less then 30 posts sigs will be removed and avatars gone? or are they automatically gradfathered because they were there before the new promotion?

Thanks

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                            • Dec 2000
                            • 3.6.x

As you say, they are "grandfathered."

Automatically removing the sigs and avatars of users with less than 30 posts would require a small custom script. I recommend you post a request on www.vbulletin.org , the official vB hacking site.

Or you can do it manually. You can pull up a list of matching users by entering your search criteria in the:

Admin CP -> Users -> Search for Users

Comment

• switchstance
                              • Jul 2002

Thanks!

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
                              That would require modifying the code. You should switch the way you have the permissions setup.

Keep in mind that users can belong to multiple groups. You could set the Registered group so they can't use custom avatars, and setup another group so they can. Then set the promotion to add the 'custom avatar' group as a secondary group membership. This will make it easier to change your permission setup later on.
                              I just wanted to say thanks for this concise information. It was exactly what I was looking for and solved the issue I was having upon upgrade to vB3.

Bravo!
                              jathan.<o_/

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...