X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thewitt
    • Mar 2001
    • 3.0.0 Gamma

Forcing User Title of Additional Group?

Is there anyway - short of editing the postbit template and adding a conditional - to force the User Title in an additional group to override the primary group?

I'm using additional groups to add access to the registered user group - and I'd like to force the additional group user title to be used when someone has been granted access to more forums through an additional group.

Any options other than conditions in the postbit template?

Thanks,

-t
    Tim Hewitt
    myOstrich Internet - Domain Management & Internet Services
    myOstrich Golf - When it comes to golf, we don't have our heads in the sand.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

In the usergroup settings, set 'Can override primary group title/markup' to 'Yes' for the secondary group.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• thewitt
      • Mar 2001
      • 3.0.0 Gamma

This is close. From what I can tell though, the user still has to go into the User CP and select update their Display Group. This makes the secondary group title optional, not mandatory.

Most of my users can't even find the User CP, much less update their display group on their own...

-t
      Tim Hewitt

Comment

• thewitt
        • Mar 2001
        • 3.0.0 Gamma

So I take it the answer to this one is it can't be done.

I suppose I'll have to go add a bunch of conditional logic to the postbit template.

-t
        Tim Hewitt

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

If you want to force it why not try user ranks? unless you dont want anything displayed as their title at all.

Comment

• thewitt
            • Mar 2001
            • 3.0.0 Gamma

Originally posted by Faranth
            If you want to force it why not try user ranks? unless you dont want anything displayed as their title at all.
            I could not get user ranks to work for secondary groups at all - only primary groups or groups selected in the User CP.

Perhaps I'm simply missing a feature, but what I'm after is that is someone has a secondary group assigned, that title overrides their primary usergroup.

I can't seem to force the issue.

Do you have a specific technique that will force the rank title for a secondary group to show without the user having selected it as his display group?

-t
            Tim Hewitt

Comment

• rebelsrock06
              • Jan 2004
              • 3.6.x

WHy does it have to be the secondary group your forcing

Make their Primary Group w/e the secondary one is and vise versa

that will end your probs
              Rebel Designs Studios

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

Try this Although i just thought of it so it might not work

Base Usergroup
                -Can Use Custom Title
                -User Title: blank

Additional Usergroup
                -User Title: Additional Usergroup
                -Can override primary group title/markup: YES

That "should" work, i dont see any reason for it not too, the problem might be if they belong to more than one usergroup that has this setting...

Comment

• thewitt
                  • Mar 2001
                  • 3.0.0 Gamma

Originally posted by rebelsrock06
                  WHy does it have to be the secondary group your forcing

Make their Primary Group w/e the secondary one is and vise versa

that will end your probs
                  Here are the mechanics of the situation. Perhaps this will help explain why this isn't working.

We have public and private sections of the forums.

Anyone can register and become a member of the public area. The default Registered user status is used for this.

If a member of the group requests access to the Members Only area, we add a secondary group to their profile using the Join Request mechanism, and they now have access to the Member area.

Yes, we could go in and change their primary group at this point, but then I would have to have an admin do this, and not simply a group leader.

-t
                  Tim Hewitt

Comment

• thewitt
                    • Mar 2001
                    • 3.0.0 Gamma

Try this Although i just thought of it so it might not work

Base Usergroup
                    -Can Use Custom Title
                    -User Title: blank

Additional Usergroup
                    -User Title: Additional Usergroup
                    -Can override primary group title/markup: YES

That "should" work, i dont see any reason for it not too, the problem might be if they belong to more than one usergroup that has this setting...
                    Though I have not stepped through the mechanics of this, I still want to have the base group have titles...

Perhaps with the base group we could use a ranking to get them a title, and the additional group would have no rank title and a group title instead...

I'll play with it, but I suspect it won't work. The "override" title only seems to come into play if you select this as your display group in your User CP.

-t
                    Tim Hewitt

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

So you have more than one additional usergroup trying to override the user title?

Comment

• thewitt
                        • Mar 2001
                        • 3.0.0 Gamma

So you have more than one additional usergroup trying to override the user title?
                        No, I don't think I said that.

The base group is Registered.

The additional group is Association Member.

When a Registered user is accepted into the Association Member group, I would like his title to automatically change to reflect this.

Right now his title won't change unless he goes into his User CP and selects the Association Member group as his display group. No one does this, as it's a geeky thing to do and not "automatic" as they expect it to be. These guys are not particularly computer literate. It's hard enough to train them to request the additional group access now - even though the steps are explicitly spelled out in an FAQ on getting access to the Association Member area of the site...

Ultimately I'm trying to reduce the amount of work necessary for administrators and group leaders, and make as much of the mechanics of the forum seamless as I can.

-t
                        Tim Hewitt

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

Can the base registered group have a custom title?

If so disable this, and update user titles.

Comment

• thewitt
                            • Mar 2001
                            • 3.0.0 Gamma

Can the base registered group have a custom title?

If so disable this, and update user titles.
                            No, the base group today cannot have a custom title.

Titles don't move to the additional group unless it's selected in the User CP.

I'm not sure what you are asking me to do. The Update User Titles doesn't change anything. The Base group is still selected in the User CP as the display group, so the title doesn't change.

-t
                            Tim Hewitt

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                              Former vBulletin Developer
                              • May 2000
                              • 1.1.x

I don't believe you're going to be able to achieve what you want without conditionals. We are going to need to overhaul the way ranks and user titles function to give you more options for their usage when it comes to secondary groups.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...