• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Justice
    • May 2000
    • 2.0.x

Upgrading from v2.0.3 to v3 Gold?

Sup,

I hacked my v2.0.3 to no end, and never got around to upgrading (lifetime license though, don't worry ).

When a stable version of 3 is released, I'll be purchasing the upgrade... but I have three questions:

1) I'm assuming I'll need to download another version between 2.0.3 and 3, and do several upgrades... what steps will I need to take?

2) The "Now Playing" mod is an integral part of my forum. Unfortunately, it's not a priority for most boards, and subsequently Jelsoft. Does anyone know if the v3 Now Playing mod is similar enough that I could hack the upgrade scripts, to keep my forum's current Now Playing messages? Erasing all of them would ruin thousands of threads on my site.

3) vb3 is so advanced, it looks like I won't have to re-install many hacks from 2 (), but I just want to double check some of these. Does vb3 have these features?
    • Able to set a minimum amount of posts before a user can make new threads
    • Option to use static files for avatars (to save resources)
    • Avatar Categories (to organize thousands of avatars)
    • Advanced Pruning Options (nothing's changed since these were added, right?)
    • Moderators can close threads with a reply
    • Users can rate each other

Thanks in advance for all helpful replies. I've been waiting on vb3 for years, but it seems to be worth the wait. Y'all kept the same spirit of development that made me switch from ubb to vb in the first place.
    "Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did."
    - Mark Twain
  • merk
    • Jul 2001

Originally posted by Justice
    Sup,

I hacked my v2.0.3 to no end, and never got around to upgrading (lifetime license though, don't worry ).

When a stable version of 3 is released, I'll be purchasing the upgrade... but I have three questions:

1) I'm assuming I'll need to download another version between 2.0.3 and 3, and do several upgrades... what steps will I need to take?
    You will need to upgrade to at least 2.2.9 (iirc) before being able to upgrade to vBulletin 3.

2) The "Now Playing" mod is an integral part of my forum. Unfortunately, it's not a priority for most boards, and subsequently Jelsoft. Does anyone know if the v3 Now Playing mod is similar enough that I could hack the upgrade scripts, to keep my forum's current Now Playing messages? Erasing all of them would ruin thousands of threads on my site.
    I know someone wrote one for vB3 and it might be possible to keep all of the messages, dont know - youll have to ask the hack author.

3) vb3 is so advanced, it looks like I won't have to re-install many hacks from 2 (), but I just want to double check some of these. Does vb3 have these features?
    1. Able to set a minimum amount of posts before a user can make new threads
    2. Option to use static files for avatars (to save resources)
    3. Avatar Categories (to organize thousands of avatars)
    4. Advanced Pruning Options (nothing's changed since these were added, right?)
    5. Moderators can close threads with a reply
    6. Users can rate each other
    1. Yes This is possible using usergroup promotions.
    2. Maybe There has been improvements made to image.php (old: avatar.php) to make browsers cache files. AFAIK, you cant just use avatars in the filesystem.
    3. Yes Yes
    4. Yes From my memory (playing around with these options), most if not all are available.
    5. Yes There is a checkbox you can choose to close the thread after replying.
    6. Yes User Reputation system sounds about right

Comment

• Justice
      • May 2000
      • 2.0.x

Thanks... sounds real good.

Originally posted by merk
      You will need to upgrade to at least 2.2.9 (iirc) before being able to upgrade to vBulletin 3.
      iirc?
      Originally posted by merk
      Maybe There has been improvements made to image.php (old: avatar.php) to make browsers cache files. AFAIK, you cant just use avatars in the filesystem.
      AFAIK?
      And as for the improvements in browser cache, does vb3 run on approximately the same CPU as 2, or is more RAM needed?
      "Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did."
      - Mark Twain

Comment

• merk
        • Jul 2001

iirc = If i remember correctly.

afaik, as far as i know.

vB3 will require more ram, but is less CPU intensive than vB2.

Comment

• Justice
          • May 2000
          • 2.0.x

even more ram than vb2?
          how exactly is it less CPU intensive?

Oh, I forgot to ask...do the upgrade scripts import the custom profile fields and their info?

Thanks for your replies.
          - Mark Twain

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

Yes, custom fileds and data are imported, providing you run the correct upgrade scripts.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Justice
              • May 2000
              • 2.0.x

Hi Steve

What scripts would you recommend from 2.0.3 to 3?
              - Mark Twain

Comment

• Matthew Gordon
                • May 2002
                • 1.1.x

vB3 does need more RAM than vB2, yes, but this results in a lower CPU usage.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  Former Customer Support Manager
                  • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Justice
                  Hi Steve

What scripts would you recommend from 2.0.3 to 3?
                  First backup your database for safety. The only reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. Please see the instructions here:

Then upgrade to 2.3.4. Follow the instructions here:

After this, stop and make sure your forums are working correctly. Once you've confirmed this, then upgrade to RC4 following the instructions in Kier's announcement.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Justice
                    • May 2000
                    • 2.0.x

thanks for the replies... a few more new questions.

2.3.5 is the only old version in the members area. Can I go from 2.0.3 to 2.3.5 to 3 Gold?

can someone explain how more RAM results in lower CPU usage?

Also, what server specs would you recommend for a forum with 10k plus members... only a couple hundred active at a time
                    - Mark Twain

Comment

• Mirical Bernd
                      • Mar 2002
                      • 3.6.x

You can go from 2.0.3 to 2.3.5 to Gold - yes

We have in use 2 GB of RAM - which is ok.

At least you should use a server with: 1 GB of RAM, 2 processors, 2 GB of RAM is even better. SCSI might be a good thing, as it is faster than EIDE, but if you want to save some money, save them only on the harddiscs. RAM and processors are very important.

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

vBulletin 2 never cached much of its data, so there for the server had to do much more work to get the information on average. as where vBulletin 3 caches 99% of the info that is used most often, such as templates and posts. this is held in ram, and thus requires much less cpu power than it previously did.

Comment

• Justice
                          • May 2000
                          • 2.0.x

thanks
                          - Mark Twain

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...