X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nevf
    • Jan 2004
    • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 3

Restricting Forum access

I've just purchased vB and gone straight to vB3 which I'm very impressed with. I haven't used vB before so I'm a newby as far as it goes. I do have experience with other forum software though.

What I would like to do is restrict access to various forums as defined by different user groups. I've worked out how to do this, however when the user who doesn't have permission accesses such a forum they see something like "There are no messages in this forum". This is somewhat misleading and not what I want.

I think there is a way to stop such forums being displayed to such users, however I haven't been able to get this to work, and it isn't what I want anyway.

What I want is for all users to see all forums on the main forum index page, but when they try and access a forum they don't have permission to they get a page saying they don't have permission. In other words they never get to the forum itself, and it is obvious to them why not. Is this possible and if so some pointers to how to do it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by nevf; Sat 24 Jan '04, 11:40pm.
    Neville Franks, Author of Surfulater and ED for Windows.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

here is a hack to do this at vbulletin.org i belive

Comment

• nevf
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Faranth
      here is a hack to do this at vbulletin.org i belive
      Thanks. Did you mean "There .."?

I was hoping this could be done without a hack. Seems to me like not an uncommon way to set things up.

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

yes its late for me here in ohio im rather tired ;D

it was how it used to work on vB2 but its opperation was changed in vB3.

Comment

• nevf
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Faranth
          yes its late for me here in ohio im rather tired ;D

it was how it used to work on vB2 but its opperation was changed in vB3.
          Ok, thanks. I'll try and find it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...