Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Egn
    • Jun 2002

Read thread problem?

This happens on both the vBulletin board, and my board.

When I go to New Posts, after reading one of the threads in there, the post image turns to the closed envelope. If I close all of my browser windows, and then come back to the forum, going to New Posts again, the same thread that I just read, will show as unread. Is there a timeout for a thread to remain read? Is it a cookie problem? It happens on my other computer too.
  • NTLDR
    • Apr 2002
    • 3.0.0 Gamma

I've been expericencing this recently as well, it allways used to work correctly for me till a few days ago. I assume its somthing my end as it happens on my forums which I haven't changed in a few weeks.
    vBulletin.org Moderator
    The Sisters Three Charmed Discussion Forums

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • May 2000
      • 1.1.x

Session cookies are used to track this and so if you close all of your browsers you will lose them.

Comment

• Egn
        • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Freddie
        Session cookies are used to track this and so if you close all of your browsers you will lose them.
        But shouldn't it still show the posts that you already read, as read? The only way to get them to not show up in the New Posts again is to click on "Mark Forums Read"

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • May 2000
          • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Egn
          But shouldn't it still show the posts that you already read, as read? The only way to get them to not show up in the New Posts again is to click on "Mark Forums Read"
          "Should", yes in a perfect world but we don't currently support that functionality. If you go idle for 15 mins, logout then login, or mark forums read they won't appear as new any more.

Comment

• Mtmm
            • Jul 2002
            • 3.6.x

Is there going to be somekind of fix for this? It´s pretty annoying feature.
            www.pakkotoisto.com

Comment

• Sadie Frost
              • Dec 2001
              • 5.0.X

Yeah, cause this is happening to me whether I close my browser or not - threads just are not marked read for me at all

Comment

• Steve Machol
                Former Customer Support Manager
                • Jul 2000

Closing your browser is not the same as logging out or letting your session expire.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Sadie Frost
                  • Dec 2001
                  • 5.0.X

Forget my post then

Comment

• gsk8
                    • Jun 2003
                    • 4.2.x

I'm still using version 2.3.2 and am experiencing the same.

Could someone give me the default settings for the two areas below in the Control Panel? It seems these have an effect on the "Who's Online" and "Read/Unread" threads.

Timeout for Cookie (I currently have 86400)
                    This is the time in seconds that a user must remain inactive before the unread posts are reset to read.

Refresh (I currently have 1800)
                    Time period in seconds to refresh the Who's Online display. 0 disables refresh.

Thanks,

Paula
                    Paula

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      Former Customer Support Manager
                      • Jul 2000

Originally posted by gsk8
                      Could someone give me the default settings for the two areas below in the Control Panel? It seems these have an effect on the "Who's Online" and "Read/Unread" threads.

Timeout for Cookie (I currently have 86400)
                      This is the time in seconds that a user must remain inactive before the unread posts are reset to read.

Refresh (I currently have 1800)
                      Time period in seconds to refresh the Who's Online display. 0 disables refresh.
                      The defaults are '900' and '60' respectively. Currently you are keeping your users online for 24 hours - whether they are actually participating on your forums or not.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• gsk8
                        • Jun 2003
                        • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                        The defaults are '900' and '60' respectively. Currently you are keeping your users online for 24 hours - whether they are actually participating on your forums or not.
                        Thanks Steve!
                        Paula

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...