X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • I, Brian
    • Feb 2003
    • 3.6.x

Attachments not working

I renamed my forum folder, "forum1", then uploaded vB gamme into "forum", then upgraded fine.

I transfered the attachments folder into the "forum" folder for gamma, and previous attachments are showing fine.

So far as I know, everything else is working just fine - excepting that I cannot upload new attachments. I get teh following error message:

File system directory is not writable.
    I have tried CHMODing the directory to 777, to 666, then back to 777, and the same error message occurs each time.

Any pointers for correcting this are most welcome.
    Last edited by I, Brian; Fri 2 Jan '04, 9:12am.

• Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Is that the complete error message? Either you are not using the correct path for the attachment directory, or your tmp file directory is not chmod'd to 777.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• I, Brian
      • Feb 2003
      • 3.6.x

The path seems to be quite correct, and the attachments directory is CHMODed to 777.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "tmp" file directory - is there another directory to manually CHMOD to 777?

I tried to create a new directory to move the attachments to, but gamma says that it doesn't have write/delete permissions for the server, even though I 777'ed the new directory. So I've contacted my webhost (VenturesOnline) to see if there's a server specific issue here.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • May 2000
        • 1.1.x

Comment

• I, Brian
          • Feb 2003
          • 3.6.x

Thanks for the link - I had actually removed that already. The issue remains.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

When you changed the directory of your forums, did you change the attachment storage directory in the Admin CP?

If you didn't and the attachment directory was within your forum directory, it no longer exists.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• I, Brian
              • Feb 2003
              • 3.6.x

I didn't change the storage directory - but afterwards I did set up the attachments folder manually. Posts before upgrade from beta 4 to gamma still show up as attached images in the posts - it is simply that new posts cannot include attachments.

Later tonight I'm going to try and move all the attachments back into the db, using the admin cp - and then set them up in a folder again. I'll see if that can correct it.

EDIT: Attachments working fine since I moved everything into the database. As I'm now on broadband a larger db isn't an issue. I'll leave it as that for the moment - working.
              Last edited by I, Brian; Fri 2 Jan '04, 11:41am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...