X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • I, Brian
    • Feb 2003
    • 3.6.x

Changing internal links?

On the main vB page, where it links back to the forum index, I'd like to be able to change the link so that it points towards a different URL.

I would also like to change the link to the forum in the HTML archive.

Would anybody be so kind as to indivicate what I should be looking for in the templates? I'm afraid that I am a little lost with them, but would like to repoint the links to a more specific URL in the forum.

• Mainer82
    • Apr 2003
    • 1.1.x

You can do it in the ACP > Options > General settings for the link.

But I'd edit in the footer template, this is where you can also edit the archive link.

Comment

• I, Brian
      • Feb 2003
      • 3.6.x

Thanks for that - unfortunately, it's actually a little more complicated than that, which is why I need to ask.

For example, the archive pages link back to the forum home using "/" while the link tree for the dynamic part of the forum shows as "/index,php?"

What I'd like to be able to do is change these values, so that they would both show simply as "index.php" - ie, the index file specified but without the question mark.

Is this something the vB team support, or would I need to go to vB.org?

Comment

• Zecherieh
        • Oct 2000
        • 3.0.0 'Gold'

To edit archive go to the archive directory and edit it there directly I think. I can not remember for sure, but I changed the name of my structure from

to

I also used to have all my urls working like that and got a lot of my current pages indexed because of that (I have them normal now cause its a pain to keep it updated with upgrades)

Comment

• Zecherieh
          • Oct 2000
          • 3.0.0 'Gold'

oh note on that - the second one the major change is done by javascript so of course the search engine does not see the page like that, it sees it more like the first one (the first one is not indexed at all - the second one is indexed to the tune of a ten or twenty thousand pages depending on which search engine)

Comment

• I, Brian
            • Feb 2003
            • 3.6.x

IT's actually a little more complicated - for example, in the directory tree on the dynamic forum, the forum URL has a "?" at the end.

My reckoning is that it's working against search engine optimisation by introduing a new URL - search engines consider /index.php and index.php? to be separate URLs.

I'm wondering therefore how to remove the "?" from the forum URL in the directory tree.

This is an example of what I'm referencing by "directory tree", in case I'm misapplying technical terms here: (it's at the upper left of the thread page)

Comment

• FWT
              • Jan 2002

I would like to change the links pointing back to the index page from /index.php? to just index.php or just mysite.com also... It is causing a split PR problem.

Would this work or would it screw things up?

In replacement variables.
              Do a search for text "/index.php"
              And replace it with just "/"

Good or bad idea???
              Click here to visit Webmaster-Talk.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...