X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kennyf355
    • Jan 2003

Must vent before I blow..

Alright, here goes:

I am not very good on the computer, never have been, never will be. I accept that.

I started a car website a few years ago to get my community of friends from around the world together to speak. We all knew eachother from a previous site which used vBulletin so we figured it'd be best to continue with vB even though it costed a decent amount of money and we didn't plan on charging or having advertisers.

Everything was working perfectly for a while, the site looked great (IMO), we had 1400+ members and averaged over 3m hits per month, but then...

... everything started to come apart at the seems, I kept getting error emails, the site was unstable, it was down more then up etc. I turned to the vB help forums for help and was told to upgrade. I had a friend upgrade for me (who is better on computers) and the problems started to get worse! I believe I was on vB 2.2.6 when we started the upgrading process.

It was suggested we upgrade right up to VB3 to get it working. Originally we upgraded to VB3 B4, that didn't work. Upgrade. VB3 B5. Didn't work at all, really screwed up my site. After getting help directly from the vBulletin team (and I thank you, you know who you are), we were at vB3 B6. Thats when the serious problems started.

Apparently I had/have 1.2gigs of attachments on my site which I am told is HUGE. Thats why we were having trouble upgrade I was told. After working out errors in the script (them, not me, I don't do that ) the site looked great and I was soo excited I started IMing everyone on my buddy list to go post again.

About 20 minutes after that, the problems got worse. Nothing worked at all.

To make an incredibly long story short[er], vB says its the hosts fault for not having the new mySQL and the host says thats BS, mySQL was just release a couple days ago, who knows if its even stable to upgrade- how can vB just think that will work.

Both of them have shot emails my way explaining how its the other guys fault, both seem to have a valid explanation for why the other guy is wrong, but no one is getting anywhere.

At this point, I am waiting for my host to attempt to put me back to my backup from a week ago (which means I loose the B6 upgrade and all- I need that back someone!) becuase we were over the amount of space we were allowed (which seems to be the real reason for all of these problems, wish someone picked it up earlier...)- and everytime someone did anything, it just sent out errors becuase there was no room left on the server for it.

Considering the backup works, when I install the updated version of VB3 B6, I know it won't work. Just because vBulletin hates me (or god, one or the other lol). I need help. I don't make a penny off my site, I do it because I love cars and after spending a good amount of money for vBulletin and being a loyal customer and all, I'd expect my site to work. I don't have the money to pay for someone to fix it, I'm not that wealthy (yet)- think you guys have the heart to fix my site 100% no questions asked?

Soo, I lost all of my direction in this rambling post. I don't really know what to do, but I do know that I want my site back (and working!!!). Someone at vBulletin'll read this so if you do, please please please email me or something.

I'm sorry for wasting your time with this post, I needed to get it off my chest.

-Kenny Herman
    ExoticCarForums.com (RIP)
    [email protected], [email protected] .
    -Kenny Herman
    [email protected] (or possibly [email protected])
    AIM: kennyherman and/or captanobvs
    http://www.exoticcarforums.com
  • mixylplik3
    • Dec 2001
    • 3.0.0 Beta 6

I can empathize. I went through a nightmare a year and a half ago that almost caused a total loss of my forum. Where do you host your forum? It really does sound like a setup issue. I have had numerous experiences with bad hosts. This is the USA, it's always someone else's fault. I'd like to help if I can.

Comment

• kennyf355
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by mixylplik3
      I can empathize. I went through a nightmare a year and a half ago that almost caused a total loss of my forum. Where do you host your forum? It really does sound like a setup issue. I have had numerous experiences with bad hosts. This is the USA, it's always someone else's fault. I'd like to help if I can.

I don't know if I should put their name up here, probably not the greatest publicity for them, ya know? I'll PM you with the name.

My brother deals with them with various other sites and he claims they've been flawless.

Any help is appreciated, again, I'm a car person, not a computer person .

Thank you.
      -Kenny Herman

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • Dec 2000

The MySQL problems are critical bugs which have caused lots and lots of random corruptions.

There has been hundreds of .MYI errors on this forum since cpanel upgraded to MySQL 4.

It takes about 35 minutes to do a repair on the attachments table.
        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• kennyf355
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
          The MySQL problems are critical bugs which have caused lots and lots of random corruptions.

There has been hundreds of .MYI errors on this forum since cpanel upgraded to MySQL 4.

It takes about 35 minutes to do a repair on the attachments table.

Didn't work I don't think.. Can you take a stab at it? You know my email and my info for it .
          -Kenny Herman

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
            • Dec 2000

it will go in the background even if the page times out.
            Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• kennyf355
              • Jan 2003

it will go in the background even if the page times out.

The screen went blank if thats what you mean. Regardless, I can't post .
              -Kenny Herman

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                • Dec 2000

on the main phpmyadmin page click the

Show Processes

the query might still be running.
                Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• kennyf355
                  • Jan 2003

on the main phpmyadmin page click the

Show Processes

the query might still be running.

"Kill 12866 forums localhost forums_vbulletin1 Query 1436 Repair by sorting REPAIR TABLE attachment "

Eh? Does that mean its still going?
                  -Kenny Herman

Comment

• kennyf355
                    • Jan 2003

Apparently the host upgraded us to 4.0.15 MYSQL so it should be working.. But it isn't. Someone?
                    -Kenny Herman

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                      • Dec 2000

yeah Kenny it means its still going let it finish.

After the repairs are all done the problems shouldn't re-occur.
                      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• RobFerrari
                        • Feb 2003

OK, so how do I avoid any of these problems?

Just make sure MySQL is upgraded to 4.0.15? Is that it?

Kenny, you said you had reached your memory limit? Back before I had a dedicated server I had that problem too. That causes problems with any software. I had major crashes back more than a year ago with Discusware because of space limitations.

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                          • Dec 2000

Its all resolved now.

His host upgraded to 4.0.15 and I haven't had a response from a support ticket with a problem. The corruption appears to have stopped.

Though I do need to prune his attachments, 1.2GB of attachments isn't healthy
                          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• RobFerrari
                            • Feb 2003

Its all resolved now.

His host upgraded to 4.0.15 and I haven't had a response from a support ticket with a problem. The corruption appears to have stopped.

Though I do need to prune his attachments, 1.2GB of attachments isn't healthy
                            OK, you're kinda scaring me a little. I run a similar community as Kenny, but just Ferraris. It's very important that I can store an unlimited amount of attachments. I probably have 2-3 gb after a few years on the other board. The reason I keep them is that the site serves as a historical and technical reference for many. I've never deleted a message or image in 3 years.

Looking forward, will I have issues with vB hosting that many images? I imagine in 5 years with my increase in traffic that I may have 20+ gb of pictures.

Thanks

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                              • Dec 2000

No but MySQL will have issues.
                              The MyISAM table type limit is 2GB though you could use a Merge table type which 64GB I believe.

Though I found the problem with kennys board was that he allowed his members to upload bitmaps which were about 1meg, these could have easily been a 25k jpeg.

Though switching to attachments as files instead of in the database would be the best solution at the moment.
                              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment