Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trip008
    • Jun 2003

encrypt password for import

i am trying to migrate users from my site to vbulletin 3. when migrating, i have tried to encrypt their passwords using md5, but unfortunately the password that gets stored in the db when i register using the registration form is different than the password i get when i just run md5. what can i do to migrate the old passwords? what else must i do to them other than just using md5 to encrypt them?

-v
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Do you mean you are importing users from a different application into vB3 or from vB2 to vB3?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• trip008
      • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      Do you mean you are importing users from a different application into vB3 or from vB2 to vB3?

i am importing them from a different application. the users are stored in a db and the password is not encrypted. i'm hoping to preserve the users old passwords.

-v

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Since this involves coding to integrate a third-party application, you'll need to ask over at vbulletin.org. They should be able to help there.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • Apr 2000
          • 3.6.x

md5(md5($password) . $salt))

$salt can be anything you want as long as you store it along with the password (see register.php).

Comment

• trip008
            • Jun 2003

thanks!

Originally posted by Ed Sullivan
            md5(md5($password) . $salt))

$salt can be anything you want as long as you store it along with the password (see register.php).

thanks! this is *exactly* what i was looking for!

-v

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...