• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul
    • Dec 2001
    • 3.6.x

Disabling vbcron?

Hi all,

I recently found out that my super secret test vb3 forum was busy churning out happy birthday e-mails and account activation reminders like it was nobody's business. "Click on this secure link which will prompt you for a username and password you don't know to activate the account you created six months ago" ... nice.

Now, 100 angry users later, I find out that this vbcron thing just clicked itself on without asking anyone and went happy e-mailing everyone.

It would be super nice if you could possibily include a way to temporarily disable those e-mails from being processed and/or sent for situations like these. The only way I saw to stop them from going out was to delete the cron jobs, which it looks like without knowing the appropriate .php file, is difficult to bring back.

A nice little addition to the drop down box would be good "disable/enable". I'd suggest this as a new feature, but I'm of the opinion that the installer should ask first before contacting people.

Move this as you see fit.

Best wishes,
    Paul
  • merk
    • Jul 2001

Originally posted by LoveShack
    Hi all,

I recently found out that my super secret test vb3 forum was busy churning out happy birthday e-mails and account activation reminders like it was nobody's business. "Click on this secure link which will prompt you for a username and password you don't know to activate the account you created six months ago" ... nice.

Now, 100 angry users later, I find out that this vbcron thing just clicked itself on without asking anyone and went happy e-mailing everyone.

It would be super nice if you could possibily include a way to temporarily disable those e-mails from being processed and/or sent for situations like these. The only way I saw to stop them from going out was to delete the cron jobs, which it looks like without knowing the appropriate .php file, is difficult to bring back.

A nice little addition to the drop down box would be good "disable/enable". I'd suggest this as a new feature, but I'm of the opinion that the installer should ask first before contacting people.

Move this as you see fit.

Best wishes,
    Paul
    You could just delete cron.php

Or remove all "Scheduled Tasks" from that area in the admincp.

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • Dec 2000

remove $cronimage from footer, i think thats what the variable is
      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • May 2000
        • 1.1.x

It does need a switch..Adding to suggestions.

Comment

• mtha
          • Oct 2002
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Freddie Bingham
          It does need a switch..Adding to suggestions.
          It takes too long to add a switch, so I just add one myself:

if you think it's good and can validate the code, It'd be great if we can see it in the next release.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...