Cache problems

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • version2
    • Feb 2001

I might have figured out this problem. Well, no...that is the wrong thing to say. I might have figured out a way around this problem. I was poking around in the windows registry and noticed a dword with a list of mime types to NOT cache. So, I added text/html in there and I havent had the problem yet.
    version2 aka mol

Mystic Wicks Online Pagan Community Forums
    Mystic Wicks After Dark

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by version2
      I have seemed to notice a few trends. For one, the problem seems to occur the most when you make a transistion from on page to another. What I mean is...if I am in threadview and go back to forumhome, then the problem occurs. Hit CTRL-F5. It refreshes. I can go back into threadview, and if I try to come back to forumhome again...BAM...it does it again.

PM's dont show up in the inbox. People are having to hit CTRL-F5 just to see their Pm's.
      When you use the forward and back buttons in your browser, they are not supposed to refresh the screen. This is considered a feature of newer browsers. Internet Explorer is the largest culprit of this.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• version2
        • Feb 2001

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        When you use the forward and back buttons in your browser, they are not supposed to refresh the screen. This is considered a feature of newer browsers. Internet Explorer is the largest culprit of this.
        I have just produced a registry patch which seems to have cured this problem so far. I am going to test it with my members and see how it goes. Since I applied the patch to my one windows machine here I have not had a problem.

If it works, I will post it here.
        version2 aka mol

Mystic Wicks After Dark

Comment

• version2
          • Feb 2001

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          No..I didnt mean using the back and forward buttons. I meant via the links it was doing this.
          version2 aka mol

Mystic Wicks After Dark

Comment

• version2
            • Feb 2001

Well, it started happening to me again. And once it starts...it will not stop. Im recompiling apache and php.
            version2 aka mol

Mystic Wicks After Dark

Comment

• version2
              • Feb 2001

GOT IT!

Ok..hopefully this will help someone in the future. I just recompiled php and apache2. Both to the latest version...I think I was a release or two behind, anyway. So...I recompile and get everything working. I start editing the new apache conf because I wanted to go through it line and line and you know what I found in the old apache conf?

#AddHandler send-as-is asis

Except...it wast commented out. This is the only difference between the two configs. If I uncomment the line in the new config...its starts happening again. So, there ya go.
              version2 aka mol

Mystic Wicks After Dark

Comment

• bdbourn
                • Jan 2003

Glad you got it going version2. Just wanted to say that I have visited your board and you have a nice community there.

Great job!

Originally posted by version2
                GOT IT!

Ok..hopefully this will help someone in the future. I just recompiled php and apache2. Both to the latest version...I think I was a release or two behind, anyway. So...I recompile and get everything working. I start editing the new apache conf because I wanted to go through it line and line and you know what I found in the old apache conf?

#AddHandler send-as-is asis

Except...it wast commented out. This is the only difference between the two configs. If I uncomment the line in the new config...its starts happening again. So, there ya go.

Comment

• version2
                  • Feb 2001

Originally posted by bdbourn
                  Glad you got it going version2. Just wanted to say that I have visited your board and you have a nice community there.

Great job!
                  Thanks! I appreciate it!
                  version2 aka mol

Mystic Wicks After Dark

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
                    Former vBulletin Developer
                    • Apr 2000
                    • 3.6.x

Nice catch! Now, I wonder why vB2 didn't seem to be affected by that.

Comment

• version2
                      • Feb 2001

Originally posted by Ed Sullivan
                      Nice catch! Now, I wonder why vB2 didn't seem to be affected by that.
                      Thats my next test. Im installing vb2 on the server and I will see what I can find, if anything.
                      version2 aka mol

Mystic Wicks After Dark

Comment

• version2
                        • Feb 2001

As an aside, the condition is commented out by defualt in the defualt config file, which is probably why most people do not have this problem. I think I uncommented it because another person was running phpbb on my server at one time a while back.
                        version2 aka mol

Mystic Wicks After Dark

Comment

• leadZERO
                          • Dec 2000

I'm getting something similar to this. Everytime I go back to the site in a new browser window or after leaving the domain the same "New Post" icons come up. If I go to the forum it shows the posts as unread. I go to the posts and they are the same ones I have already read. If I go back to the forumpage they appear unread still. If I hit CTRL+F5 only then do they come up read.

Turning no-cache headers on seemed to solve it.
                          Ryan "leadZERO" Sommers
                          Gamer's Impact President
                          [email protected]
                          AIM/MSN: leadZERO

-= http://www.gamersimpact.com =-

Comment

• tamarian
                            • Oct 2000
                            • 1.1.x

Some of my users are having the same problem reported by Version2.

send-as-is was commented out already.

Turning on the no-cache headers did not resolve the problem.

I'm still investigating, but dropped by for a search on who else is having the same problem
                            Last edited by tamarian; Wed 14 Apr '04, 8:33am.
                            vB Drupal Community Plumbing | vB Survey | vBusy | vB Spell | vBouncer

Comment

• Sidewindr
                              • Sep 2002
                              • 4.2.X

I am having the same problem ever since the upgrade from vb2 to vb3, the AddHandler send-as-is asis IS commented out in my configs.

The problem occurs when there is some sort of cache in between the server and the client, this includes transparent caches so you may be using one and not even know. The problem is prevelant in my tests with squid caches it also seems that it happens with direct connections but not as badly/ I am going to run it up over SSL and have a look to see if IE is handling things correctly.

This never used to be a problem with vb2 and once I upgraded to vb3 I have had 100 people complain of this issue in a week, including myself and also on the admincp which is a ***** when editing templates!!
                              Last edited by Sidewindr; Sun 18 Apr '04, 2:42pm.

Comment

• Sidewindr
                                • Sep 2002
                                • 4.2.X

I think I have some more of a bead on the problem....

Below is the header

Code:
                                 HTTP/1.1 200 OK
                                Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 01:41:25 GMT
                                Server: Apache/2.0.44 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.44 OpenSSL/0.9.6g PHP/4.3.1
                                Accept-Ranges: bytes
                                X-Powered-By: PHP/4.3.1
                                Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT
                                Last-Modified: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 01:41:26 GMT
                                Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate
                                Cache-Control: private, post-check=0, pre-check=0
                                Pragma: no-cache
                                Set-Cookie: ls1vblastvisit=1083030086; expires=Wed, 27-Apr-2005 01:41:26 GMT; pa
                                th=/; domain=.ls1.com.au
                                Set-Cookie: ls1vblastactivity=1083030071; expires=Wed, 27-Apr-2005 01:41:26 GMT;
                                 path=/; domain=.ls1.com.au
                                Content-Length: 58165
                                Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
                                And the date.time of this request was Tue Apr 27 11:42:18 EST 2004

Could the caching issue be a result of the GMT times in the Last-Modified being 3hrs in the future??

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...