• IDN
    • Apr 2002
    • 3.5.x

Subscriptions

How do they work?
    Running vB since 4-14-2002
  • reefland
    • Sep 2000

From the looks of it I think it is very simple. Basically you add a new subscription, setting all the criteria; forum permissions for paid subscribers, the lenght of the subscription and the paypal amount (paypal being the only functional payment system right now).

Once you have set this up you go to your paypal account and modify your profile, specifically the instant payment notification. In here, you will enter the URL to your paypal.php file (/subscriptions/paypal.php). The subscription is sent to your paypal account, paypal sends the payment notification which contains the userid information and the subscription is activated.

I have yet to use this but I beleive that is the way it works.

Regards,
    Scott Z.
    sigpic
    Nation of Blue - Kentucky Wildcats Sports

Some CMS Goodness: Add Avatar to Article

Comment

• dogbomb
      • Mar 2002

I would also like to know:
      • Can you only use them to gain access to forums, or can you use it to promote someone to a whole new usergroup? Or something else? (avatars/titles?)
      • Will other currencies be added in the future?
      http://www.dogbomb.co.uk/

Comment

• reefland
        • Sep 2000

You can use it to promote an entirely different usergroup from regular registered members on your forums. Obviously with that, you have the ability to give subscibing members additional feature access such as avatars, sigs, etc.

As far as currencies, I think that would be payment method dependant. Since the only current working payment method is paypal, you can accept any currencies they allow and I know that the pound and euro are supported by paypal.

I see that the subscription option in the ACP says US Dollars but I would think you could edit the templates and change it to whatever currency that you choose from paypal (just a guess here).

Regards,
        Scott Z.
        sigpic

Comment

• DirectPixel
          • Jan 2002
          • 3.5.x

Actually, more than just PayPal is compatible, and working. If you look in your subscriptions directory, you'll see a few more scripts, and in the subscription creation box, you'll see a few more payment methods.
          :)

Comment

• reefland
            • Sep 2000

Yeah I saw those but I thought I saw a thread where one of the devs said only paypal was working right now? Maybe not; I was probably tired from working on our site all day and night!
            sigpic

Comment

• DirectPixel
              • Jan 2002
              • 3.5.x

There may be bugs, but those extra scripts would not be included if they were not working.
              :)

Comment

• hankster
                • Feb 2002

Just an FYI: I have subscriptions set up so those that join can have custom avatars, signatures, more PMs, more attachment storage, personal photos, their username in "gold" and a few other goodies. I now have 120 subscribers at $18.00 per year.

Comment

• reefland
                  • Sep 2000

Your probably right but I would almost swear I saw a dev post only paypal was working. Youknow what though, my memory is shot anymore, just ask my wife.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Michael2
                    • Oct 2001
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by reefland
                    Your probably right but I would almost swear I saw a dev post only paypal was working. Youknow what though, my memory is shot anymore, just ask my wife.
                    I think I've seen that too.
                    HBO Forum - Discuss Game of Thrones, True Blood, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, and more!
                    Disney Forums - Disney theme parks, vacation, entertainment, and more!
                    iLoveTalk - Our general discussion forum.
                    VeggieBoards - The largest and most active vegetarian forum!

Comment

• reefland
                      • Sep 2000

Ah yeah, got some support, maybe I'm not loosing it afterall. I tried to search for it but could not find anything, maybe one of the devs will chime in and give us the skinny.

That is pretty impressive hankster, how large is your forum and how long have you been doing the subscriptions; just since Friday? Either way that is nice!

Regards,
                      Scott Z.
                      sigpic

Comment

• 0ptima
                        • Jan 2002

Originally posted by hankster
                        Just an FYI: I have subscriptions set up so those that join can have custom avatars, signatures, more PMs, more attachment storage, personal photos, their username in "gold" and a few other goodies. I now have 120 subscribers at $18.00 per year.
                        How do you enable attachment limits by user? Is this a vb2 hack?

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                          Former vBulletin Developer
                          • May 2000
                          • 1.1.x

Originally posted by 0ptima
                          How do you enable attachment limits by user? Is this a vb2 hack?
                          Total attachment space per user is a usergroup option.

Comment

• IDN
                            • Apr 2002
                            • 3.5.x

Thanks guys.
                            Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

• Michael2
                              • Oct 2001
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by freddie
                              Total attachment space per user is a usergroup option.
                              Does anyone else think it's funny that the one off-topic post in this thread is the one that got answered? *lol*
                              HBO Forum - Discuss Game of Thrones, True Blood, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, and more!
                              Disney Forums - Disney theme parks, vacation, entertainment, and more!
                              iLoveTalk - Our general discussion forum.
                              VeggieBoards - The largest and most active vegetarian forum!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...