Step 12 = not responding for some reason.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kayn
    • Nov 2000

Step 12 = not responding for some reason.

I'm in the midst of upgrading, and after I clicked on "step 12," my browser just hung there.

I waited a good 5 minutes, but nothing was happening. The little progress meter went about 1/3 full, and that was it. The browser did not crash - it's just not getting into step 12 for some reason.

I read the upgrade instructions, and it says to go to install/upgrade.php, and it would just redirect to upgrade1.php. Then I'd try it again, and I got an error message: "We have detected that you have already tried to run the upgrade script. You will not be able to proceed unless you revert to a vB 2.2.x database."

I tried to go into the querystring and do this:

/install/upgrade1.php?step=12

And it's still hanging all dumb like.

Help?
    Pluh.com (random nonsense) - Psychostick.com (my stupid band) - Collectiveunderground.com (AZ local music site) - Evacuatechicago.com
  • mickmel
    • Feb 2001

I had this problem too, and it was disk space (or severe lack of it). This uses a LOT of disk space for overhead if you have a lot of attachments. Clear some up and see if that helps.

Mickey
    Google Earth Hacks - Golf Nation
    Screen Dig - That's Pretty Dumb
    Tech Support Humor

Comment

• Kayn
      • Nov 2000

Alright...

Well, if that's the case, I'll go ahead and wait for it to do it's thing. I don't think I had THAT many attachements though (my forum is relatively small), but yeah.

I see that the the progess meter is moving slow... so I suppose I need to be more patient.

I found the queries in the upgrade script, and was tempted to run them myself. I'll just wait though, since I'll probably screw something up.
      Pluh.com (random nonsense) - Psychostick.com (my stupid band) - Collectiveunderground.com (AZ local music site) - Evacuatechicago.com

Comment

• Kayn
        • Nov 2000

I don't understand... I've been sitting here for 30 minutes waiting for these tables to be altered.

How can simply adding columns to a table take so much overhead?

I don't wanna clear this table out... but I might have to. Devs? You guys there?

Comment

• Kayn
          • Nov 2000

I found the queries in the upgrade script...

ALTER TABLE attachment
          ADD postid INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
          ADD filesize INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
          ADD thumbnail MEDIUMTEXT NOT NULL"
          ;
          ALTER TABLE attachment
          ADD filehash CHAR(32) NOT NULL,
          ADD posthash CHAR(32) NOT NULL,
          ADD INDEX (posthash, userid)"
          ;
          ALTER TABLE attachment
          ADD INDEX (postid),
          ADD INDEX (filesize),
          ADD INDEX (filehash)"
          ;

Should I try to execute those instead? OR would that make a difference?

Comment

• Kayn
            • Nov 2000

Are any devs reading these posts...?

Anyway, I tried running one of those queries, and it hung as usual. So then I tried to see if I could just browse the table, and got an error.

Now my forums database isn't pulling up at all...

Heh.

Comment

• Kayn
              • Nov 2000

Bump.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                Former Customer Support Manager
                • Jul 2000

Did you try removing the vB3 files, reuploading them, and then restoring the db and trying again?
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Kayn
                  • Nov 2000

Yeah, I'm in the process of attempting to get ahold of my host person to restore my database.

Gonna try again after that.

Comment

• Dark_Wizard
                    • Jan 2001
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Kayn
                    Yeah, I'm in the process of attempting to get ahold of my host person to restore my database.

Gonna try again after that.
                    Did you happen to have Scott's "Attachments as Files" hack installed?

Comment

• Kayn
                      • Nov 2000

Originally posted by Dark_Wizard
                      Did you happen to have Scott's "Attachments as Files" hack installed?
                      Sure didn't - it was all inside the database itself.

Comment

• Dark_Wizard
                        • Jan 2001
                        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Kayn
                        Sure didn't - it was all inside the database itself.
                        Just checking...how is it going now? Just checked your site and getting db errors...I'm on AIM..maybe I can help...

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
                          Former vBulletin Developer
                          • Apr 2000
                          • 3.6.x

Unfortunately there's not too much we can do to those queries -- theoretically we could split them up some more, but I don't think that will help too much.

If you're going to run those queries manually, I recommend you do so via the shell, with the 'mysql' program. Keep in mind that depending on the amount of attachments you have, it could take awhile. While it wasn't these queries, I've seen queries take 20 minutes to run.

Another thing to look into is possible corruption of the table which is causing problems. You could try running REPAIR TABLE attachment; and see if that helps.

Comment

• Dark_Wizard
                            • Jan 2001
                            • 3.6.x

Hey Ed...that was what I was going to propose to him on AIM...run them from SSH...Kayn...get on AIM or ICQ...

Comment

• Kayn
                              • Nov 2000

I don't have access to the shell, unfortunately. Well, actually, I might be able to get in, I just haven't before (spoiled by phpmyadmin).

My dumb host person (whom is a good friend of mine) isn't reachable for some reason. I shall keep trying.

I think that table IS corrupt though, because I tried to browse the last sets of records, and I got a mysql error.

Hrrrm. Dark Wizard, I just might be PMing you soon.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...