doing testing to see if dB is causing bottleneck?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Swakoo
    • Jan 2006

doing testing to see if dB is causing bottleneck?

Hi guys,

currently my setup, I have one dB serving multiple vbb bulletin forums, one of which has a huge dB (4.3GB and growing). My web front is supported by 4 servers, via a load-balancer.

We have peak periods during the night and forums will slow to a crawl. While my manager wants HA solutions and better performance, we believe the ads links are causing a slowdown instead, but I need to 'proof' it. Managers don't like to know their ads are causing problems. Its their $$ afterall.

So, we are thinking of simulating forums browsing without loading any of the images, ads etc... and I am thinking of either of the following:

1) Installing a new forum script and pointing it to the existing database and use that to view, or code a simple php script to simulate those functions

2) Start querying the dB using sql statements and note the response time. Will query the same statements that is used for retrieving threads, forums, posts etc...

is it viable? Both are to be done during the peak hours. Of course, for both, I will need to know either the calling functions and/or the sql statements used exactly...

will i able to obtain through this forum, or do you guys have a better way for me to test if the dB is the bottleneck at all?

Many thanks!
  • Swakoo
    • Jan 2006

anyone?

Comment

• Marco van Herwaarden
      • Nov 2004
      • 3.8.x

I suggest you post an Optimisation Request in the Server Configuration forum. Make sure to include all the information asked for in [Server Optimisation]: Required info for optimisation requests [January 15, 2007]
      Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
      Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• IBxAnders
        • Aug 2001
        • 4.0.x

Swakoo, you can use tools like MySQL Slap to beat up on the mysql server; and you can also Siege your webservers as well; http://www.joedog.org/index/siege-home
        anders | vbulletin team | check out the new vbulletin facebook app
        Proudly vBulletin'ing since 2001
        Please be my friend!
        http://www.twitter.com/inetskunkworks
        vBulletin Performance Articles:
        Click here to read

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...