X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thnhan
    • Mar 2005

Cannot reply (problem after moving)

My forum version: 3.0.7

I moved my forum from one hosting account to another hosting account. After some problem with backup/restore, I successfully put the forum on the new hosting account. (See previous post on the problem I faced:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179645)

My forum on the new hosting account seems OK mostly. Members can view all posts, can start new post. However, none can reply (using PostReply or Quote button). Even me as admin cannot reply. Noone can reply even their own threads.

The error message:
    xxxx, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    I did not touch any permission (forum, usergroup) during the migration. I check and double-check to make sure the forum permission, usergroup permission are set correctly as before. But to no avail. The forum permission says user can post/reply. The usergroup permission allows post/reply ... etc...

Still noone can reply!

I appreciate any tips to resolve this problem.

N. Tran
  • Colin F
    • May 2004

First I recommend reuploading all the default vBulletin non-image files in ASCII mode, overwriting your current files. Also, turn off plugins globally in your vBulletin Options. Does this problem still occur then?
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• thnhan
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Colin F
      First I recommend reuploading all the default vBulletin non-image files in ASCII mode, overwriting your current files. Also, turn off plugins globally in your vBulletin Options. Does this problem still occur then?
      Yes, I have reuploaded all non-image files in ASCII mode. Nope, I don't have any plugins.

Is there anyway do debug the php script to find out exactly what happen ?

N.Tran

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

If you don't have any hacks or plugins installed and you have not made any changes, then this is likely from a bad database backup and restore. How did you do this? Do you still have access to the old db?
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• thnhan
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          If you don't have any hacks or plugins installed and you have not made any changes, then this is likely from a bad database backup and restore. How did you do this? Do you still have access to the old db?
          I think the database is 99% good. :-) I use mysqldumper and the forum runs immediately after the restore. So I think the dbase is good.

Consider that
          • From Admin CP, I can review all forum/usergroup permission all right (which mean VBulletin script access MySQL dbase all right)
          • From phpMyadmin, I can review the permission table all right (again showing that MySQL table is ok)
          • Member can post all right, which means VB script can talk to MySQL table and do the verification before allowing to post.

The logic of reply is not much different from that of a new posting. It just check a different permission flag.

Consider all of the given facts above, it's quite a puzzle to me!!

N.Tran

Comment

• thnhan
            • Mar 2005

I tracked down the problem at newreply.php (line 162, VB 3.0.7)

if ($posthash != md5($poststarttime . $bbuserinfo['userid'] . $bbuserinfo['salt']))
            {
            print_no_permission();
            }

Need help from VB developer to figure out what this mean.

N.Tran

Comment

• Colin F
              • May 2004

That checks if the posthash is correct, which doesn't seem to be the case here.
              I recommend upgrading to 3.5.4 first.
              Best Regards
              Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• thnhan
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Colin F
                That checks if the posthash is correct, which doesn't seem to be the case here. I recommend upgrading to 3.5.4 first.
                I go ahead and upgrade to 3.5.4. Everything is OK now.

When in doubt, just upgrade

Thanks everyone.

N.Tran

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...