Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Logicus
    • Mar 2004

Thread Notifier Limit Removal

There is a club using a password protected forum on my vBulletin (so they can share their research and essays), and I tried setting it up so that everyone was emailed when a new thread started, including non-members. As you can imagine, I did this through the admincip, but lo and behold, there is a limit on how many characters you can enter into that box. I only managed to fit ten email addresses there, when I need to fit about twenty. Could someone please tell me how to remove the limit?

The following thread is yet more proof of how Zachery is a god, perceiving the universe in ways that we mortals can only begin to imagine:
    Last edited by Logicus; Sun 21 Aug '05, 10:48am.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Just a thought, might be easier to add a single email that is a mail list and have the members subscribe.

Comment

• Logicus
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Zachery
      Just a thought, might be easier to add a single email that is a mail list and have the members subscribe.
      That's an interesting thought, indeed, but might be a bit more difficult. For one thing, they want to share documents, and our university email accounts are pretty small. Besides, a permanent record is better. Another problem I see with email lists is shy people, and also, too many emails. We're talking about notification for threads, not posts, which probably constitutes a couple a week, if we're lucky.

I see this as a preliminary measure to get people involved; it's sort of the weaning process. Otherwise, if they check the forum and there isn't activity once or twice, they won't go back, and that defeats the purpose. When there is a lack of activity, people don't expect to receive a response, so are less liable to post.

These kids are geeks, but not the computer savvy kind. They study ancient history and dead languages, for crying out loud. I'm sure they can handle the occassional email, but they need a little support. If the email list can't be all-inclusive, then we'll have to limit it to officers, in which case they'll be forced to keep the forum active on a regular basis if there is any hope of getting other people involved. That makes things more difficult.

Besides, their webmaster is Lexiglobal's official dilinquent forums provisions director. She is going to setup our adopt a forum service, so people can bring home their very own "truant forum."

Comment

• Colin F
        • May 2004

What Zachery meant is, that it might be easier to add all the users to a mailing list, or even a forwarder to multiple addresses, and then to add that one address into the field in your AdminCP.
        Best Regards
        Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• Logicus
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Colin F
          What Zachery meant is, that it might be easier to add all the users to a mailing list, or even a forwarder to multiple addresses, and then to add that one address into the field in your AdminCP.
          HOLY MACARONI! I SEEEEEEE THE LIGHT!

HOWAH! HOWAH! HOWAH!

*dances*

THANK YOU! WHAT A POSITIVELY EASY SOLUTION!

Forget my ramblings!

I'M GOLDEN!

Comment

• Colin F
            • May 2004

Hehe, great to see such enthusiasm
            Best Regards
            Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...