X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • allwin
    • Jan 2005

Updating attachments

Hello Guys,

We need to update certain attachments on the forum. Is it possible to replace the file without affecting the download count on the attachment ? If so, how can this be done ? Attachments are currently being stored as files in the filesystem and not in the DB.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

There is no way to do this without hacking or modifying the database. If it's just a few attachments, the easiest way to do this is to edit the 'counter' field in the attachment table manually for these attachments.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• conqsoft
      • Jul 2003
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by allwin
      Hello Guys,

We need to update certain attachments on the forum. Is it possible to replace the file without affecting the download count on the attachment ? If so, how can this be done ? Attachments are currently being stored as files in the filesystem and not in the DB.
      Since you're using the file system, if you could track down the file in the file system, you could replace it with another one. If the file size changed, you would have to manually edit the DB to reflect that.
      vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

• allwin
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        There is no way to do this without hacking or modifying the database. If it's just a few attachments, the easiest way to do this is to edit the 'counter' field in the attachment table manually for these attachments.
        Counter field ? Where is that .. ? Yes,they're just a few attachments.. If I am able to delete the old attachment and reupload the new one , its fine.

Just let me know how do I edit the counter for those specific attachments..

Comment

• Steve Machol
          • Jul 2000

The counter field is in the attachment table. You can use phpMyAdmin to access and edit this.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• allwin
            • Jan 2005

If I delete the attachment and reupload it, the attachment no. would change and so would the link to it. The attachment is widely linked .. anyway I can keep the attachment no and still do the above modifications ?

Comment

• allwin
              • Jan 2005

No updates folks ?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

Did you try my suggestion in post #5?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• allwin
                  • Jan 2005

What if I need to retain the attachment ID as well ? I think I confused you here. I would like to retain the attachment ID, change the file, update the counters ..

As far as I can see, the counter can be updated thru phpmyadmin, but I believe the attachment ID would change.. is there a way to maintain the attachment iD too ?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

My suggestion will not change anything except the counters, which is what I thought you were trying to correct.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• allwin
                      • Jan 2005

As I asked in my prev. post, is there a way to maintain the attachment iD too ? This is because many people have directly linked to the attachment.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        • Jul 2000

As I stated my instructions do not change the attachmentid. Only the counters.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...