Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lcryan
    • Jul 2004

Help with hackers

Ok well I have recieved word that my site is going to be attacked by some script monkeys. I would like to know if there are any further steps I can take to secure vbulletin even more to assure that they are not able to breach anything. They are using perl scripts to get into the forums scripts btw.

They have gotten into a few other sites and deleted everything.

Thanks
  • lcryan
    • Jul 2004

oh yes and my datacenter has put someone on this to help me out with the next fews days to catch this guy I just want to make sure he does no damage what so ever, any scripts I could change or make more secure would be great thanks

Comment

• lcryan
      • Jul 2004

sorry this was posted in wrong section please move to 3.0.7 section thanks

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Here's some things you can do to increase the level of security for your forums:

1. Upgrade to the latest stable version.
        2. Do not install any hacks
        3. Password protect your Admin and Mod CPs: http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess.shtml
        4. Make sure tools.php file is NOWHERE on your website
        5. If you have phpMyAdmin make sure it's password protected.
        6. Inform your host of these hack attempts and ask them to check the logs to see when your account was accessed.
        7. Also ask your host to change the login password for your web account
        8. Change all your Admin and Mod passwords.

Note your forums are only as secure as the passwords you use and the server it is on. If the server is accessed then there's nothing vB can do to prevent potential security violations.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...