Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • permutations
    • Jun 2005

can't override user title "ladder"

I don't want to use the "ladder" titles in vBulletin, so when I edited the user groups, I entered a value in the "User Title" field, which is supposed to override the default user title "ladder".

However, when a new user registers, they get the ladder title instead of the title I entered as an override. Is this a bug?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Please update your support ticket and I'll take a look at this too.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• permutations
      • Jun 2005

This is all pretty pointless. I've given you full information. If you can't give me an answer in the forum, you won't be able to answer in a support ticket.

Does vBulletin have support tiers so I could speak to someone more technical? I can look at the code and figure out what's wrong myself, but that's extremely time consuming. I expect to have to do that with an open source program, but not with one I've paid for.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Actually you have not given me the information I requested so I can investigate this for you. That is your right, of course, but it's not quite fair to blame me when I cannot acccess your forums and check this to see what may be wrong.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• permutations
          • Jun 2005

The information you requested was to log into my server as an administrator with all privileges. I just have to believe it's possible to answer my questions without taking over my system.

As I explained in the support ticket, my forum is a support forum with posts about very private matters. I would not violate my members' privacy casually, and in any case, I don't think it's necessary. I'm fully capable of doing anything on my system that you want me to try. I'm know my way around a computer and I'm a strong PHP programmer. I could probably find the answers to my questions by looking at the PHP code; I was just hoping to avoid having to take that time-consuming step.

I'm starting to desperately miss SMF. At this rate, it would be faster for me to program the missing features myself than get vBulletin to work as advertised.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Without access I can only go by what you say you have done, and if this info is correct then I don't see how you would have this problem (similar to the situation in which you say that the User Awaiting group permissions are set correctly but aren't working.)

I tried to help. Sorry it was not sufficient for your needs.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• steven s
              • Jul 2004
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              I tried to help. Sorry it was not sufficient for your needs.
              On several ocassions I have given you full access to my board with a temporary username and password. You have fixed things and explained what I had done wrong in minutes where it would have taken myself hours to figure out for myself. I can't think of any better service than that!
              ...steven
              www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
              bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
              "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

Thanks Steven.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• permutations
                  • Jun 2005

Setting up a temporary username and password is a good idea, and if it were a public board I might do that. But this is a support forum and I want to protect my members' privacy. There are other ways to help - I'd like to exhaust those first.

Comment

• SovietNinja
                    • Jan 2005
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by permutations
                    Setting up a temporary username and password is a good idea, and if it were a public board I might do that. But this is a support forum and I want to protect my members' privacy. There are other ways to help - I'd like to exhaust those first.
                    What I would recommend you do is set up a password protected test board (your license allows this) and the privacy of your users would not be at risk. This also provides an excellent opportunity for you to see if this bug can be reproduced.

Comment

• free thinker
                      • May 2005

Steve has fixed many problems on my boards as well by logging on. If you are truly concerned about him "inadvertantly" reading sensitive data on your website, just set ADMINISTRATOR permissions to CANNOT READ POSTS.

Comment

• permutations
                        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by free thinker
                        If you are truly concerned about him "inadvertantly" reading sensitive data on your website, just set ADMINISTRATOR permissions to CANNOT READ POSTS.
                        I wasn't concerned about Steve specifically, just privacy in general. Your idea is a good one, if a problem came up that I could not resolve on my own. In general, however, I prefer to have someone explain to me how things work so I can be self-sufficient, rather than doing things for me. (It's all moot at this point because I've decided to stick with SMF rather than switching to vBulletin.)

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                          Former vBulletin Developer
                          • May 2000
                          • 1.1.x

In regards to the user titles, this may be your bug.

Comment

• Ophelia
                            • Feb 2006
                            • 3.5.x

Sure wish you would have let tech support do their job. I'm having this problem and would have loved an answer so I can go on with my life.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...