My forums are being hijacked

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Razz
    • Jun 2001

There's not a lot you can do if your members are infected with trojans or similar exploits that will alter their posting, perhaps there's an idea there somewhere for a future hack.

I would advise your member on how to remove it and then perhaps create a sticky post or maybe even add it to the FAQ for anyone else who may suffer with it.

You could also add the domain to the censor list to at least prevent them getting hits.

Comment

• Aros
      • Jun 2002
      • 3.7.x

I would say 'I told you so' but that has probably been made clear.

Comment

• Lionel
        • Apr 2001

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        Are 1000 members infected? If so, then yes, you are doomed.
        Glad you found this amusing.

You could also add the domain to the censor list to at least prevent them getting hits.
        thanks for that suggestion.

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound flippant. But the fact is this is a problem on the user end and there really isn't much you can do but try to educate your users. If there are 1000 users with this problem, then yes - you have a major headache to deal with. I have only seen this happen with one or two users hear and there.

If it is confined to a few users, then you can control this by restricting their right to post until they find and remove the trojan causing this.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Lionel
            • Apr 2001

Well, my opinion is that you guys ought to find a way to protect that textarea from foreign elements. If one smart searchmiracle can do it, it's only a matter of time to see sex links popup in all kids forums.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

It's an interesting idea but honestly I don't see any way to implement this. For instance how would vB know what is a valid URL that someone is manually entering versus one that is being entered via a trojen on the user's machine? I'm not aware of any detection capabilites that are available to discern the difference.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Lionel
                • Apr 2001

If the url is not in text area at time of insertion, then it is not valid. I am just throwing idea about what could develop into a potential problem and hurt the forum communities.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

Post this as a suggestion in the Suggestions forum. I'm not a programmer but to me this does not seem feasible. But I could be wrong.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Razz
                    • Jun 2001

The only way I could see this working is if each post was parsed against known exploits. This would also mean Jelsoft would have to maintain an up to date list of exploits which could interfere with a users post, which could lead to too much extra work.

Comment

• Lionel
                      • Apr 2001

eventually, sooner or later this will become a jelsoft, phbb and everybody else problem. I got 3 new cases today with a new one
                      http://forums.al7bar.tk

edit make that four
                      http://www.dss-newbies.net

more again

http://69.42.87.218/cgi-bin/ezlclk.fcgi?id=10125

My observation: This is happening only when message is in a quote.
                      Last edited by Lionel; Fri 17 Jun '05, 8:35am.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        • Jul 2000

Did you post something in the Suggestions forum like I recommended? I really don't think there is any feasable way to control this from the vB side, but I could be wrong. At least this will bring it to the attention of the Developers.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• southernlady
                          • May 2005
                          • 4.0.x

ASAP sites check people's computers FREE of charge. That particular program isn't the best one for a home user infected by lots of spyware. Someone that infected needs help provided by someone who is trained: http://asap.maddoktor2.com/
                          Secret City Designs

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...