How to disable auto-logout due to inactivity?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bulgogs
    • May 2005

How to disable auto-logout due to inactivity?

Is it possible to allow users to login and never be logged out unless they specifically clik logout? I have users who complain that they write a post, walk away for a few minutes or longer (perhaps at work) and when they return they are logged out and lose their post.

Also what impact (if any) will this have on Users Online? I'm hopeful it doesn't impact that...

Thanks!
  • daemon
    • Jun 2003
    • 3.5.x

When the user logs in, he or she must make sure that the "Remember Me" checkbox is ticked. If it is not, then this will happen. If it continues to happen even after they do this, tell them to clear their cookies and their cache before trying to log in again.

As for the impact on Who's Online, their session will expire after a certain amount of time (15 minutes by default; this can be set in the Admin CP) after which they will no longer be considered "active." However once they revisit, they will be considered active again until 15 minutes of inactivity have passed.
    Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

Actually I think you would need to set the cookie timeout to something out rageous.

Comment

• Bulgogs
        • May 2005

yes, clicking that Remember Me button doesn't seem to do anything.

Comment

• daemon
          • Jun 2003
          • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Bulgogs
          yes, clicking that Remember Me button doesn't seem to do anything.
          Have you changed any of the cookie settings in the Admin CP?
          Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

• Bulgogs
            • May 2005

cookie settings?

I haven't changed anything on the cookie settings - i'll check that out.

Comment

• Bulgogs
              • May 2005

ok - i don't see anything that allows users to stay logged in. Changing the cookie "timeout" affects a lot of other stuff so I don't want to mess w/that.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                Former Customer Support Manager
                • Jul 2000

There is no way to do this without messing with the cookie timeout, and as you said this affects a lot of other things.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Removed-1078464
                  • Oct 2004
                  • 3.6.x

Steve,

Isnt there anyway to code VB (your dept, not another hack) so that the "whos online" part can be real time and not depend on a cookie?

And have the login part rely on the cookie?

Personally I like to see immediately when a member logs in or out, I dont like the idea of having to wait for a cookie to "time out" before it shows a user off line.

Again im not looking for "youll need to hack or see vb.org" as another answer.

Just simply wondering if this is something the VB staff could possibly make a reality and if so would they be willing to do it...

Doug

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

If a member clicks on "logout" they are removed instantly, theres no timeout.

Comment

• Removed-1078464
                      • Oct 2004
                      • 3.6.x

Right, but honestly how many people do you know that actually click on the log out buttton. Most of my users just close the browser screen.

Then I have to wait for the cookie to time out before they disapear from the whos on line screen.

Doug

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

Then they didn't logout, and within 15 min of their last click they will be gone. Shorten the session to 300 (5min) or 180 (3min) if you want more realistic stats, however if someone goes inactive for 3 min while writing a post, and they did not choose the cookied version, they'd be logged out, and if you are using the standard vB3 styled mark read system, all posts they hadn't viewed yet would be marked as read.

Comment

• Removed-1078464
                          • Oct 2004
                          • 3.6.x

Zachery,

I never said that they did log out... And yes you are absolutely correct that I would have to reduce the time on the cookie time out in order to get whos on line to be more accurate, but like you said doing this will have an affect on them if they are not using the remember me feature. This I do not want. And I use the database selection so read posts is not an issue with this from what i have experienced thus far.

I want an accurate and instant whos on line without it effecting the members, why is this something that wouldnt have been done already by the VB staff? Is there something preventing this from happening realistically or is it that the VB staff / coders just dont want to do it?

I get the impression that the VB staff wants to code their program the way they want it and dont want to listen to the feedback of the way their paying customers want it. Could I possibly be wrong about this? Seems like an our way or tough issue to me.

Doug

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            Former Customer Support Manager
                            • Jul 2000

If you want to make a suggestion, then please feel free to post this in the 3.5 Suggestions forum. However you posted this in the 3.0 How Do I forum and the answer is that you cannot do what you want with the default vB code.
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Removed-1078464
                              • Oct 2004
                              • 3.6.x

Yep just as I thought...

Oh and it's not a suggestion, it was a statement.

Have a nice evening Mr. Machol.

Doug

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...