Are cookies really optional? Is the FAQ incorrect?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gary Fischman
    • Jan 2001
    • 3.0.10+

Are cookies really optional? Is the FAQ incorrect?

According to the FAQ, they are. However, there doesn't appear to be any control over cookies beyond selecting the "remember me" button.

Is that the sole method of control?
    Is the FAQ incorrect?
  • WetWired
    • Jul 2002

I believe that if you block cookies with your browser, it will detect this and use session URLs, but I cannot confirm this because apparently the version of IE I have has broken cookie blocking...
    http://www.zelaron.com/sigs/rotsig.gif

Comment

• Gary Fischman
      • Jan 2001
      • 3.0.10+

That may be so, though I still think the FAQ is wrong. If nothing else, what "page" is this referring to:

Originally posted by From the FAQ
      After you have registered, you may alter your cookie options at any time by changing the settings on this page.

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

I have written some updated FAQ entrys, Not sure If they will make it into 3.5 final though.

Comment

• Gary Fischman
          • Jan 2001
          • 3.0.10+

Thanks, Zachery - are you confirming that the FAQ is incorrect and that the only control the user has over forum cookies is whether or not they select "remember me"?

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

My Own updated entry.

Does this forum use cookies?

The use of cookies on this forum is optional, but may enhance your experience of the site. Cookies are used to keep you logged in between visits to the site after you have closed your browser. When you login, if “remember me” is checked on the page, a cookie with a hashed version of your username and password will be stored on your computer.

If you are using a shared (eg: library, school, or internet café) computer, you should choose not to “remember me“ as anyone else who visits the forum will be able to access your profile on this site. If you choose not to store this information in a cookie, the session data will be sent though your browser or a link on each page. If you do not store your data in a cookie, you are behind a proxy server, and share links with others behind the same proxy server you may experience issues. If you are in doubt you can leave this option checked. To delete or remove the cookie simply click on the logout link.

Comment

• Gary Fischman
              • Jan 2001
              • 3.0.10+

Thanks again

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

I'm also seeing about updating the clearing cookies proceedure to IE6 FF and Safari

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...