Using Mambo, should I install vB to same database or a separate one? Help DB pros

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jojo55
    • May 2005

Using Mambo, should I install vB to same database or a separate one? Help DB pros

Later on I plan to integrate the two, should I install it on the same DB as my mambo or not? Looking for some advise from SQL pros.

Install on same DB:
    possibly easier to integrate but would it be harder to erase the vB part from the DB if I don't want to use it later on? In other words would it be easy to run a query to easily get rid of just the VBB tables of a DB?

Install on separate DB:
    easier removal down the line but would there be more speed issues with the integration? probably not but just checking.
    Last edited by jojo55; Mon 23 May '05, 7:45am.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

If you plan on any intergration they should be in the same db, as accessing multilpe database has always seem to have had problems.

Nothing is going to go wrong by putting mambo in the same database, even if you never plan to intergrate them you shouldn't have any problems.

Just make sure you backup and use table_prefixes if mambo supports the

Comment

• Brassmonkey
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Zachery
      If you plan on any intergration they should be in the same db, as accessing multilpe database has always seem to have had problems.

Nothing is going to go wrong by putting mambo in the same database, even if you never plan to intergrate them you shouldn't have any problems.

Just make sure you backup and use table_prefixes if mambo supports the
      Just been playing around with Mambo today...
      Mambo by default uses the prefix `mos_`, so chances are jojo55 has set it up right

Comment

• jojo55
        • May 2005

Thanks Zach that is what I needed. But in the future if I ever wanted to get rid of the VB forums and delete all VB tables from my DB, would it be easy to do so? Because data from forums do get quite big and I wouldn't want a bunch of useless data in my DB if I did decide to stop using the forum. I am not good with database stuff so this might be a dumb question.

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

Yes you could select the tables and remove them.

The useless data isn't going to hinder preformance as long as those tables are not in use.

Comment

• jojo55
            • May 2005

True but it would hinder my site in unnecessary size if I do backups in the future. So I assume you just run a query to remove all those tables then. That's all I needed, knowing I have the option to remove all traces of Vb from my DB down the line.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...