Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marianmartin
    • Oct 2004

Creating a Junior Forum

We want to have a Junior Forum as a seperate part of our main forum.
    We have set up the forum and a user group for Juniors. What we cannot figure out is how to make it so that Junior members just become Members of the Junior Forum and not the main one.
    Any advice will be much appreciated.
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by marianmartin
    ...What we cannot figure out is how to make it so that Junior members just become Members of the Junior Forum and not the main one.
    As in you don't want them to have access to the main forum? You can manage forum permissions by group in your:

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Permissions

Comment

• marianmartin
      • Oct 2004

Yes I have set the user permissions appropriately, but I cannot see how we can get the system to sign them up as Junior Members, instead of Members. What we would like is for all those who have signed up with parental consent to be unable to post on the main forum.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

All new registrations are automatically put into the Registered Users group, so you need to treat this as a starting group. Then you can promote from there. The specifics depend on exactly what you want to do.

Comment

• marianmartin
          • Oct 2004

OK I understand that now. Is there any way we can change things so that COPPA members awaiting membership approval automatically go into the Junior Members group?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

There is no function to do this. This requires modifying the code. As Jake said the default group for this is the Registered group (usergroupid 2) and any efforts to change this will cause unintended problems.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
              • Dec 2000
              • 3.6.x

There really is no need to change the default group. Just change your thinking so that the Registered Users group is the first group.

Comment

• marianmartin
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
                There really is no need to change the default group. Just change your thinking so that the Registered Users group is the first group.
                sorry you've lost me

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                  • Dec 2000
                  • 3.6.x

You want the Junior Members group to be the default for new registrations. So think of the Registered Users group as the Junior Members group, and assign them appropriate permissions.

Comment

• RagingPenguin
                    • Apr 2004

I run a Harry Potter board, and all my new members start out in "Students" (renamed from the stock registered users group). from there, they can ask to be sorted into one of the four houses. I just switch thier primary usergroup as needed. So what you want to do is setup a single forum that new members can see and ask for access to other thing in. Then move them where they belong. Alternatively, you can make certain usergroups publically joinable, and moderate the requests.

Comment

Working...