X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silvrhand
    • May 2004

EUC-JP Support? Vbulletin useable?

Ok,

I'm learning on the fly about multibyte character support in php/mysql/apache, and man it's tough when you can't even tell if it's right. I'm trying to setup a site with EUC-JP support for a friend, we are having some troubles, here are the change we have and it seems everything works right but posts come up with non supported characters.

[root@240z php.d]# cat mbstring.ini
    ; Enable mbstring extension module
    extension=mbstring.so

;; Disable Output Buffering
    output_buffering = Off
    default_charset = EUC-JP
    mbstring.language = Japanese
    mbstring.encoding_translation = On
    mbstring.http_input = auto
    mbstring.http_output = EUC-JP
    mbstring.internal_encoding = EUC-JP
    mbstring.substitute_character = none

In mysql we have the default character set to:

[root@240z etc]# cat my.cnf
    [mysqld]
    default-character-set=ujis

And apache already has the correct settings.

Has anyone done this before that could help me out?
  • Mike Sullivan
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Apr 2000
    • 3.6.x

We don't explicitly use any of the mb* functions, though you could enable function overloading to do that.

As long as you remove any conflicting character codes from the "Blank ASCII Character Stripper", you should be ok. My guess here would be that your language isn't set to use the EUC-JP character set.

Comment

• silvrhand
      • May 2004

I'm assuming you mean php for language?

That's the mbstring.ini file that I posted in the first post, it works fine with php using xml, the topics work fine but it seems only posts are getting munged for some reason.

Originally posted by Mike Sullivan
      We don't explicitly use any of the mb* functions, though you could enable function overloading to do that.

As long as you remove any conflicting character codes from the "Blank ASCII Character Stripper", you should be ok. My guess here would be that your language isn't set to use the EUC-JP character set.

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • Apr 2000
        • 3.6.x

No, I meant in vBulletin; we send a content-type header with the character set of the language you're using.

Go into the control panel, to the languages & phrases section, and edit the language you're using to have the EUC-JP character set.

Comment

• silvrhand
          • May 2004

Found it, the censors were picking some of the characters up and censoring them, it was just vague enough to make a few of us scratch our heads and want to kill each other till about 2 a.m. this morning. I gave up at 12:30 a.m. hehe.

Originally posted by Mike Sullivan
          No, I meant in vBulletin; we send a content-type header with the character set of the language you're using.

Go into the control panel, to the languages & phrases section, and edit the language you're using to have the EUC-JP character set.

Comment