Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NjEcTiOn
    • Dec 2001

Backup Problems

I am trying to transfer my database from one server to another but seem to be running into problems.

Step Two - Transfer to new server
    • Telnet/SSH into machine1, and from the command prompt type the following:
      cd /path/to/yourbackupdirectory
    • Then type
      ftp MACHINE2
      Replace MACHINE2 with the host name (eg. www.example.com ) or IP address (eg. 192.168.0.0 ) of your new server. This should open a connection and ask for your username/password, then it should say ftp>
    • Type the following, hitting enter after each line:
      bin
      cd /path/to/newdirectory
      put dump.sql
    • It should take between 20 seconds and a few minutes depending on the size of the file. Now type:
    • close
      quit
    • verify dump.sql is in the /path/to/new area on the new server.
    I got through Step One just fine with PuTTy and I think I have gotten through most of Step Two. My problem arises after I get through typing bin. This is what I have typed in:

cd /home/lethal/public_html

And this command does not seem to be working. Here is what I am getting.

"550 /home/lethal/public_html:No such file or directory"

What am I doing wrong here?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

This means this directory doesn't exist on this server:

/home/lethal/public_html
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• NjEcTiOn
      • Dec 2001

That's interesting. Am I just typing in the path wrong? What should I do to get past this obstacle?

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

When you login to the server, you are most likely at that path, thats why you cant change directorys

This is what you are trying to access (in essance)
        /home/lethal/public_html/home/lethal/public_html

Comment

• NjEcTiOn
          • Dec 2001

Alright. Lets suppose that I want to dump the SQL file here:

/home/lethal/public_html/forums

What command would I have to put in after I type bin to accomplish that?

Note: After I type in "bin" I get

"200 Type set to I"
          ftp>
          Last edited by NjEcTiOn; Tue 8 Feb '05, 12:01pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

You cannot make a db dump with FTP. You need to telnet or SSH into the server.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Dennis Olson
              • Oct 2002

Dude, think DOS command-line interface. FTP is an application program that moves/copies files from one machine to another. The CD command changes the directory on your destination server. It should be the absolute path in its entirety. Then when you PUT the file, it goes to that directory on the destination server. (If you wanted to change the directory on your source server, you'd use "lcd" - local change directory)

The BIN command tells FTP that the file is a BINary file (not ASCII), so use the correct transfer method.

If you get a "no such file or directory" error on a CD command in FTP, that directory is not present on your destination server.

Comment

• NjEcTiOn
                • Dec 2001

What is the unzip command for SSH?

Comment

• Dennis Olson
                  • Oct 2002

SSH is a secure version of Telnet. It's a program that lets you logon directly to your server (without using a web interface). You then execute Unix commands to do whatever work you want done. You use the "mysqldump" command from the console (ssh session) to create a backup file. Then you either FTP or SCP the file to another server, depending on if you want secure transfer. (SCP is secure, FTP is not).

PuTTY is an SSH client program that you can install on your PC. It's free off the 'net. WinSCP is a PC-based SCP client for secure uploads/downloads to/from your server. It's free as well.

The Unix command to create a TARball is "tar -cvf" (and then add other components to the command. execute a "man tar" to see all the options.)

To zip a file, you execute a "gzip" command. To unzip something, you execute a "gunzip" command. If you TAR something up, you need to UN-tar it at the destination. Again "man tar" will explain that command to you.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...