Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zurih
    • Oct 2004

DB size problem

My hosting server is limiting me to a 100MB DabaBase file. Now, 100MB is not much I'm sure.
    I'm wondering if there is some way to either split somehow to use 2 or more databases for 1 forum installed.
    Or, in someway letting the attachments to be stored out of the DB, like a normal files..

Is one of those options possible?

thanks
  • hankster
    • Feb 2002

You can save both the attachements and the avatars as files. Those options are available in the Admin CP.

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

You can only save attachments and avatars in the file system if your host is not in safemode, but you should consider moving to another host. avoid hosts that limit your database size (outside of your package, eg: if you have 500mb storage that would be the max size of your database)

Comment

• zurih
        • Oct 2004

so when I'm turning the SAFE MODE on, all the attachments and uploads are stored out of the DataBase?

Comment

• Dennis Olson
          • Oct 2002

100 Mb is a tiny amount of space. If they don't give you at least 500 Mb, I'd look elsewhere. (For example, my board, which has been open for 3 1/2 years, has a database size in excess of 10 Gb.)
          Last edited by Dennis Olson; Thu 6 Jan '05, 8:49am.

Comment

• zurih
            • Oct 2004

I know. I think I'll host elsewhere.
            Anyway, I cant workout this attachments out of the DB thing.
            How can I enable this?
            I turned on the safe mode and chmoded the /tmp folder to 777 and still the uploads are not stored in the folder.
            Am i doing something wrong?

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

If safemode is enabled on the server you cannot store attachments and avatars in the file system.

Comment

• Moparx
                • Jan 2005
                • 3.6.x

its interesting this topic came up..

i recently moved to a new host and they say nothing about limiting the database size anywhere.
                i noticed the other day when i went into a section to manage specific databases in my control panel that i am limited to 60mb. there it states they want more money if i want to increase the quota size..

now since they neglected to say anything anywhere about this (aside from right the message you see when you go to administer a specific database), do you guys think i would be able to get the host to set the quota to a more usable amount without charges (though im guessing no)? im already using close to 20mb of the 60

i really don't want to move hosts again, i just did a few weeks ago and have everything set up the way i want it.. plus the host is great aside from this slight issue
                Last edited by Moparx; Thu 6 Jan '05, 8:01am.
                http://www.virtualinfusion.net
                An Anime and Manga discussion forum.

Comment

• zurih
                  • Oct 2004

so i'm doomed i guess..
                  in general whats a normal amount of space and bw for a decent forum?

Comment

• Dennis Olson
                    • Oct 2002

Depends on the number of posts. My board has 1.2 million posts, and stores attachments in the database. So let's say about 500-750 Mb per 100,000 posts. (Just a WAG number). As to bandwidth, my 95th percentile rate is around 800 Kbps. My I/O is around 80 Mb/month (compressed). I get 20-30 million hits/month.

Comment

• zurih
                      • Oct 2004

and the forum is not slowing down because of the big-fat db?

Comment

• Dennis Olson
                        • Oct 2002

Mine? No. Number of records has zero impact on the performance of the database. What DOES have a major impact is SEARCHING on a large database. There have been times where I actually had to disable SEARCH during periods of heavy use.

Comment

• zurih
                          • Oct 2004

and there is NO way solving it?

Comment

• shimi
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by zurih
                            and there is NO way solving it?
                            If your host limits you with safe mode, you must store all files inside the DB. No ways around it. That's what has been said numerous times inside this thread...

I am not sure if the file upload thing is a problem with vB functionallity or safe_mode, but you can always create your own custom uploading script (what I did, because I _really_ didn't like vB's one - lack of functions, like easy multiple uploads, adding the files in many ways to the message, EXIF data, and some other stuff I made) - and either put it on the same server (If safe_mode will not limit it) - or even host it (and the user files) - on a different server. I, for instance, placed all the files on an different IP with a special http server that really boosted the site performance...

You can visit my site if you want: http://www.fresh.co.il
                            Last edited by shimi; Fri 7 Jan '05, 4:06am.

Comment

• zurih
                              • Oct 2004

If your host limits you with safe mode, you must store all files inside the DB. No ways around it. That's what has been said numerous times inside this thread...

I am not sure if the file upload thing is a problem with vB functionallity or safe_mode, but you can always create your own custom uploading script (what I did, because I _really_ didn't like vB's one - lack of functions, like easy multiple uploads, adding the files in many ways to the message, EXIF data, and some other stuff I made) - and either put it on the same server (If safe_mode will not limit it) - or even host it (and the user files) - on a different server. I, for instance, placed all the files on an different IP with a special http server that really boosted the site performance...

You can visit my site if you want: http://www.fresh.co.il
                              hi shimi, I know the fresh forums.
                              so what u'r saying is that the forum is stored in one server and the uploads are stored in another?
                              Its not necesserly boosts performance. it depents in what server the site is hosted I think.
                              in the majority of the vb forums, the files are in the same server and its not slowing down the performance.

and about the many ways to put the uploaded files into the message, u can modify that in the templates in admincp as u wish and it looks just the way u want.

and another thing, what do u use for the advertisements in the header?
                              Last edited by zurih; Fri 7 Jan '05, 7:50am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...