• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tidefans
    • Jul 2004
    • 3.7.x

Post size doubles after edit...

Hi...

Over the last few days I've had a problem on my board when editing posts.

A 10,000 character post, when edited, doubles to 20,000 characters, etc. upon pressing the submit button.

I have upgraded PHP & mySQL to more recent versions and the edit problems started shortly after that. I'm sure it is related to these upgrades, but since I'm not sure where to look, wanted to see if anyone had ever had similar problems and knew how to solve it.

Any thoughts on what needs to be corrected/modified?

Thanks in advance.
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

I am not sure if I understand this correctly. If you type 500 characters, submit, it are 500 characters. Then if you edit the post and press submit, it doubles the text to 1000 characters?

What version of vB are you running?
    Do you have any source code mods installed?

How do you count the characters in your post?

Comment

• tidefans
      • Jul 2004
      • 3.7.x

Floris-

yes your understanding is correct. The only correction I need to make is that it is happening when I copy and paste info into a new thread as well.

It appears to duplicate text / links / images after pressing submit.

here is an example of what I'm talking about:

Original (with no duplication): http://tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22687

Then I copied and pasted the text/links (without any modification or additions whatsoever) into a new post:
      Tide Fans - Home of the BamaNation! ____________________________________________ INTERVIEW WITH ANDREW ZOW - CRIMSON QB: THE ANDREW ZOW STORY - by Andrew Zow A BOOK LIKE NONE BEFORE - BOOK REVIEW - CRIMSON QB: THE ANDREW ZOW STORY Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl Site TideFans.com Online...

As you scroll down thru this, you see that some things are duplicated...

To count characters, After submitting, I pressed edit copied all the text in the box, pasted in MSWord and did word count on both versions. It is now visibly obvious that some things are duplicating.

I agree...it doesn't make any sense.

thanks

Comment

• tidefans
        • Jul 2004
        • 3.7.x

update...

As a follow up and after doing about a dozen tests, the "doubling" is not exactly accurate. What is occuring is that large sections of posts are being doubled / repeated after pressing submit --even if it is an original post and not an edit.

I have examined coded text of the post (which contains dozens of organized links to articles) and can't find anything that is causing it to replicate certain parts of the post.

I also stripped out extraneous graphics, bolding of text, etc in various threads (see threads labeled "TEST...." in the link below) with no resolution of the problem:

Report any board or site problems here. MUST be registered AND logged in to view / edit. TideFans staff receive notice of all entries.
        Last edited by tidefans; Wed 29 Dec '04, 2:03pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

Have you installed any hacks (including portals) or added any code to the footer, headinclude, header or phpinclude templates? If not, fill out a support ticket at:

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP. If you have installed hacks or added code, then remove the hacks first then check and see if you still have this problem. If so, leave the default vB files in place and fill out the support request. Please also include a complete description of the problem.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• tidefans
            • Jul 2004
            • 3.7.x

The error can also be seen here in a non-vb page that Scott setup:

just press submit and you will see that the text repeats. The error only happens when there is a large amount of text (i.e. >2 or 3 paragraphs) in the text box.

It could be an Apache misconfiguration, but at this point, I'm clueless as to where to look next. Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks.
            Last edited by tidefans; Fri 14 Jan '05, 2:52pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

Didn't Scott take over your support ticket? Have you replied to that ticket?
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• tidefans
                • Jul 2004
                • 3.7.x

Yes, and we've looked at & changed several things so far, but we haven't identified the root cause yet. I'm just hoping somebody out there might have a suggestion that we haven't thought of yet.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...