Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rich_Z
    • Feb 2002

Gradients not working for me.

I created a gradient graphic in PhotoShop and copied it into the correct directory on my server. Then I changed the pertinent line in the styles area to change the main color and pointed the URL to the new graphic I created.

Didn't work. All I get is the solid color I specified.

So I know I am overlooking something simple, but I would appreciate if someone would slap me alongside the head with it to save me some time.

Thanks.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

What did you add exactly and where?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Rich_Z
      • Feb 2002

I created a new GIF file for the gradient I wanted to use and then put it into the images/gradients folder in my forums folder along with the already existing ones there. Then I changed the entry in the style manager for the Category Strips to indicate my new GIF file.

Looked pretty straightforward to me, but obviously it wasn't.

Thanks.

Comment

• ambumann
        • May 2004
        • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Had the same problem caused by invalid URL. Have you doublechecked the URL? Maybe try a direct link http://www.yourforum.com/forum/image...urgradient.gif

Comment

• Rich_Z
          • Feb 2002

Well I will check it, but I didn't change the URL at all. I just replaced the name of the old original gradient graphic with the one I created. Since they are both in the same folder, I would assume that this would work that way.

But stranger things have happened, I guess...

Thanks.

Comment

• Dennis Olson
            • Oct 2002

What browser are you using? IIRC, Firefox doesn't do gradient (or glow either, for that matter).

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

I think hes talking about background images not IE's neato little filter tricks

Make sure the path is correct

Comment

• Steve Machol
                Former Customer Support Manager
                • Jul 2000

Please provide the exact info you entered and the place you entered it.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Rich_Z
                  • Feb 2002

I think I fingered it out.

The gradient graphic is a 100x100 pixel image. However the gradient function for the category strips etc. only pulls from the top third (approximaely) of that image. So if you do like I did and make a gradient the full height of the image, the only thing you will see is what is in the top 1/3rd of that image. In my case, it was a solid color.

I guess I will have to play around with making that graphic the exact height of the area it is going to be used in and see if that helps me get the effect I want without trial and error.

Now, about these parameters: repeat-x top left.... What options do I have there to use to make different effects?

Thanks.

Comment

• MrNase
                    • Jun 2003
                    • 3.8.x

This link should clear you up on that parameter thing

W3Schools offers free online tutorials, references and exercises in all the major languages of the web. Covering popular subjects like HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python, SQL, Java, and many, many more.
                    That's the end of that!

Comment

• Ocean
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Rich_Z

I think I fingered it out.

The gradient graphic is a 100x100 pixel image. However the gradient function for the category strips etc. only pulls from the top third (approximaely) of that image. So if you do like I did and make a gradient the full height of the image, the only thing you will see is what is in the top 1/3rd of that image. In my case, it was a solid color.

You know, I've noticed that too. Why is the gradient image (let's say for the Category Strips) 100x100 - if vB doesn't use the full height of that image?

And for what it's worth - on a gradient that I'm using for my Cat Strips - it appears properly for I.E., but not for FireFox.

Is FireFox really not able to handle gradients?
                      echo $ocean_signature;

;)

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

I have no clue what your talking about unless you are remoting hosting images or have NIS (norton internet security) the gradients work fine in all browsers, Firefox, IE, Safari, other KHTML based browsers, Opera

Comment

• Ocean
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Zachery

I have no clue what your talking about unless you are remoting hosting images or have NIS (norton internet security) the gradients work fine in all browsers, Firefox, IE, Safari, other KHTML based browsers, Opera

Well, first of all - that doesn't address the fact that vB doesn't seem to use the full height of gradient files that are made equal in resolution to vB's default set.

Secondly, I am neither remote hosting images, nor am I using NIS (pitooey!).

I'll PM you the site info so you can see for yourself.
                          echo $ocean_signature;

;)

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

Looked at the pm, its an issue with your file name which is not proper css or its a mozi bug, either way dont use spaces in your file names.

Comment

• Ocean
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Zachery

Looked at the pm, its an issue with your file name which is not proper css or its a mozi bug, either way dont use spaces in your file names.

As I said in my PM to you - having one smart program and one not-so-smart program really complicates troubleshooting.

Thank you again for your time - changing the file name did indeed solve the issue.

That being said - can you shed any light on the partial gradient use? Or is that a general mystery?
                              echo $ocean_signature;

;)

Comment