X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dan325ci
    • May 2004

Email Problems

Having email problems.

At first no emails were being received by ANYONE. (Welcome emails, lost password, etc)

Then i switched on -f parameter...that did nothing.....then i switched OFF Use Mailqueue System ...and for some reason some of my users started receiving emails while others still didnt.

I then ran some tests...one with yahoo.com email and another with a gmail.com email.

I have discovered that emails are being sent to gmail.com users but not to yahoo.com users. (im using these two as examples...there were actually other @domain.com users not receiving it)

So, my question is WHY do gmail users receive emails through my forums and yahoo users do not???

Im running on WINDOWS 2k3 with Plesk. Im using mail enable.

Here is diagnostic results:

SMTP:local

hostsendmail_from:admin@localhost

sendmail_path:None

I read somewhere that sendmail_path should not be set to NONE on Windows server...where can i change that??

Yes, ive made sure the mail option is enabled...in fact, again, the gmail email addys are receiving welcome emails and lost password emails....

This could be a server issue or maybe a vbulletin problem. Please help me fix this problem.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by dan325ci; Mon 15 Nov '04, 9:04pm.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

On Windows systems, you need to have a valid sendmail_from address. It looks like yours is not a valid email address:

admin@localhost

Change this in phi.ini to a proper email address. Then if some email is still not going through, start looking at your mail logs to see exactly why they are being rejected.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• dan325ci
      • May 2004

Hello

I located the php.ini file within Plesk folder...but where EXACTLY do i change this email address?

I cant locate admin@localhost within the file.... or do i need to add something?

I do see this within the file:

[mail function]
      ; For Win32 only.
      SMTP = localhost

; For Win32 only.
      sendmail_from =
      [email protected]

Please let me know

Thanks
      Dan
      Last edited by dan325ci; Tue 16 Nov '04, 3:34am.

Comment

• dan325ci
        • May 2004

I changed SMTP from localhost to: [email protected]

I then added [email protected] beside the sendmail_from

Not sure if that is right...but when i ran a diagnosis in Vbulletin Control Panel, it still says:

SMTP: localhost
        sendmail_from: admin@localhost
        sendmail_path: None

Any ideas why editing the php.ini is having no impact on vbulletin?

Comment

• Steve Machol
          • Jul 2000

Did you restart the web server? Did you edit the correct php.ini file? What is the link to your phpinfo.php file?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• dan325ci
            • May 2004

Could you point me to the right php.ini file?

I edited the one I found within the Plesk folder.

What do you mean where is my link to the phpinfo.php file? How can i find that for you?

Thanks a lot!

I really need to fix this.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

Create a text file with this content:

PHP Code:
              <?php
              phpinfo
              ();
              ?>
              Name it 'phpinfo.php' then upload it to your forum directory and post the URL here.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• dan325ci
                • May 2004

Hi Steve

Before i do that ...i wanted to point out that I have found a total of four php.ini files.

One is in my Plesk folder, another in C:\Windows, another in a Inetput/vhosts/webmail and the last one in Inetput/vhosts/webmail/horde folder...

So which one do i need to configure to change the sendmail_from address on? ...also what address should i put in. One that ive created? i.e [email protected]

Thanks a lot. Please reply i think im close to fixing it.

Comment

• dan325ci
                  • May 2004

Hi Steve

I found out the php.ini file i have to update...its the one in C:/Windows

I updated that one but its still not working properly. (although when running a diagnosis...the "sendmail_from" part is now updated to read: [email protected] which is an email addy i created within Plesk...so it should be functional.

But still.....Emails sent through vbulletin seem to only work for gmail email addys...but not for yahoo and a few others.

I have sent you the URL link to my phpinfo.php file...please take a look and let me know what i need to do

This might be a problem with the mail enable configurations on my server end....not sure at this point.

Anything to do with Relays???

Im at a loss for what can be the problem.

Please get back to me.

Thanks.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

You will need to look at the server mail logs to see what is happening to these emails. vB is sending the emails to the server, but something in your configuration is causing problems with some of them.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Fataqui
                      • Jun 2004

Hi

Be sure your mail server has reverse dns setup or your mail will be rejected by most other domains! Gmail lets mail in as long as your mail server is not on the spamcop list! But Dec 1, 2004 they will begin rejecting all mail that comes from server(s) that have no reverse dns setup!

AOL, Yahoo, Netscape, Hotmail and most other services have the same policy!

Your server IP should resolve to your servers host name...

You can run a simple test here... (just enter your IP, to see if your site resolves to that IP)! If it does not, you can set this up if you run your own DNS server(s) or by just asking your host to set one up for you!

Look up an IP address to find the domain name and country for the IP address. Then get the "whois" database information for the domain.

F!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...