Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hobartimus
    • Sep 2003

Still No Avatars?

I know this topic has been covered many times, but I cannot get avatars to work. When I first installed VB 3 I uploaded an avatar for my own admin profile. That was over a month ago. The site just went live about 2 weeks ago and members have been complaing that they cannot upload an avatar. I cannot upload them from the admin area either. In case it matters, users CAN upload profile picture with no problem.

When attempting to upload the avatar, there is no error. It behaves as if successful. But, no avatar is displayed.

I have attempted many of the suggestion from other threads on the subject with no luck.

I'm feeling totally helpless now.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Have you installed any hacks (including portals) or added any code to the footer, headinclude, header or phpinclude templates? If not, fill out a support ticket at:

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP. If you have installed hacks or added code, then remove the hacks first then check and see if you still have this problem. If so, leave the default vB files in place and fill out the support request.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• hobartimus
      • Sep 2003

Yes, I am using one hack which I got from vBulletin.org. It adds a sidebar to the page and it did require me to edit the footer. It also required some additional code in the file global.php

Comment

• hobartimus
        • Sep 2003

OK, I reverted my header and footer back to the VB default and still could not upload an avatar.

What next? Support ticket or can I try something else?

Comment

• Steve Machol
          • Jul 2000

Since you have installed hacks, Your options are:

1. Remove the hacks (including any database changes) and restore the original vB files.

2. Ask for help at the hacking site: vbulletin.org

3. Set up a fresh test forum with all the original vB files and templates. Then if you can reproduce this problem on that forum, let me know. If not, then this will show that the problem is related to one or more changes you made.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• hobartimus
            • Sep 2003

OK, thanks. I will start with vbulletin.org

But, one question: when you say "fresh test forum" do you mean a new install of VB on the same domain? Can I do that?

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

Yes you can, as long as it's used for testing only and is not publicly accessible.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• hobartimus
                • Sep 2003

Thanks, but before I go any further, I just discovered another hitch... I am able to change my own avatar with no problems. It is only new members who cannot. Does that mean anything?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

Possibly. Did you check the usergroup permissions?

Note, I have seen some hacks create problems with permissions.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• hobartimus
                    • Sep 2003

Permissions all look good. I can change avatars in my profile (admin), but not my moderators or any other new members.

I'm going to do a test install of a new forum before I go any further.

Thanks for you help... hopefully you will not hear from me again. (but don't hold your breath ;-)

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

Avatar permissions are done at the usergroup level per usergroup. Just because you can doesnt mean the rest of your members area able to

AdminCP > Usergroups > Usergroup Manager > Edit the Registered usergroup > Picture upload permissions. what do you see?

Comment

• hobartimus
                        • Sep 2003

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I have confirmed that my usergroups DO have permission to use avatars.

I have basic members restricted from using profile pictures, but they can have an 80x80 avatar. Premium members can have slightly larger avatar and also a profile pic--same as my admin group settings. So, I don't think my group permissions are the issue.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

If that's true, then this is almost certainly a problem witha hack you've installed.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• hobartimus
                            • Sep 2003

OK, like I said, I'm going to do a clean test install before I pursue it any further with you.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...