Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IAMWhitey
    • Oct 2003

i have read through the other threads dealing with this. I have deleted the cookies, i have deleted cookies ran the file to clear cookies, i have cycled IE to make sure it isn't running in the background.

I am logged into my board, but i can not log into the admin console. you can see where this is a problem.

For the past few weeks its been happening that my visitors can't log in or out of the forum. I am sure you are going to ask well do you have any mods done? of course i have hacks. So to rule out that its not the hacks I started a board from scratch importing the db for the new board. Still there is an issue.

The problem can't be overly difficult in tracking since there has to be a common denominator in all of the forums not working properly.

So I ask what are the fixes? what is vbulletin doing to fix this?
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

My forum, hacked, and other hacked forums i visit, have no issues with cookies, It has to be somthing on the forum or server end. Any thirdparty applications like photopost and review post if they modify your cookie your problay going to have alot of issues.

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

In my experience, PhotoPost in particular causes problems with vB cookies. We cannot provide support for forums running modified code. You can try asking in the PhotoPost forums to see if they have any ideas.

If set up a brand new test forum with all the original files and templates, please feel free to fiull out a support ticket at:

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP to the test forum, not your hacked forum.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• IAMWhitey
        • Oct 2003

i am not sure where you are gathering that I have photopost running. But I don't

I found the solution to the problem and I got it resolved. And I am not quite understanding how you can pinpoint the problem to third party problems when there are at least 20 others that i read having the same issue.

here is the fix that i provided my users:
        Follow these steps and your issues should be resolved.

First off make sure all of your Web programs are closed. I recommend restarting the computer and then start this process.

I started by going to Start -> Search

I put in pittspeed for the search phrase

this resulted in a file that had the name of this [email protected][1].txt
        You may have multiple files that look like this. The will all be located in a folder named cookies.

Delete this file.
        obviously replace the domain with whatever your domain is

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

Sorry, I picked that up from Zach's post. Yes, generally manually deleting your cookies like you described will get rid of any problems related to corrupted cookies.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

Alot of the other users who have reported cookie issues over the last few days have had a hack and or photopost installed.

Comment

• IAMWhitey
              • Oct 2003

are you finding these issues mainly on clients machines that use XP? I am thinking its not a server side issues since the fix is deleting the cookies file. so what is making it corrupt? the only denominator that i can think of is that its operating system and being XP is probably the most popular right now, maybe you should look towards that. Since I don't even use IE i would say that its not IE at fault.

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

IE from time to time does have cookie issues. Most other browsers dont, but it can still happen, generaly cookies can go bad when other programs write data to them. the browser crashes, the computer crashes

Comment

• IAMWhitey
                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Zachery
                  IE from time to time does have cookie issues. Most other browsers dont, but it can still happen, generaly cookies can go bad when other programs write data to them. the browser crashes, the computer crashes
                  thats still not a valid explanation though. since I don't have other programs running that would edit the cookie file. I guess there is no point even barking up this tree since you have no fix other then the files to clear the cookie. maybe someone can write a script to physically delete the cookie file without IE being open. maybe a comand line script?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...