X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pulsorock
    • Aug 2001
    • 3.6.x

IE Crashing on my board....

Several users have complain that my board is crashing with IE on several posts. I did not notice this because I use Firefox... but I did try it with IE and indeed crashes on some posts... IE just freezes and closes all open windows. Here are some links of the posts that crashed IE. It not always happens... I noticed that a few times it didn't... but most of them, this topics did crashed IE. I also noticed that if the user is not logged in (no registered) it does not happen this error... and also if the user is logged in, but has signature viewing turned off, it does not happen neither. I created a test account for anyone here who want to try to replicate the error on their end... the username and password are both: vbulletin.

Here are some the example links that crashed IE... those are just two that I found... but I'm sure there has to be more, since I've received several complaints.

PulsoRock.Com. 5,165 likes · 3 talking about this. PulsoRock.com (desde 1997) el website líder de Rock en Puerto Rico y la primera emisora online (2003)

PulsoRock.Com. 5,165 likes · 3 talking about this. PulsoRock.com (desde 1997) el website líder de Rock en Puerto Rico y la primera emisora online (2003)

Thanks
  • pulsorock
    • Aug 2001
    • 3.6.x

and more users keep complaining about this... just to make sure, I uploaded again from my local machine all the vB3 files to my server, but it continues happening.

Comment

• Floris
      • Dec 2001

Do you allow HTML in signatures? Maybe someone has included a link that exploits Internet Explorer.

Comment

• pulsorock
        • Aug 2001
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Floris
        Do you allow HTML in signatures? Maybe someone has included a link that exploits Internet Explorer.
        no... HTML is not allowed in signatures...

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

Perhaps it's something in your style. Try this. Create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Then have your users change to this style and view your forums with it. Do they have the same problem?
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Stadler
            • Oct 2001
            • 4.2.X

Both links consume about 10 megs of memory. Maybe this is causing the crashes?
            Hints & Tips:
            [[vB3] More Spiders / Indexers / Archives for vB3 - list]|[List of one-time-emails to ban]

http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affili...efox_80x15.png

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
              Former vBulletin Developer
              • Dec 2000

No crash here.

I've seen large images crash computers due to bad memory sticks in the computer.
              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Floris
                • Dec 2001

Some shocking signature images though.

Comment

• pulsorock
                  • Aug 2001
                  • 3.6.x

Thanks everyone... Well one of my theories was true... It had to due with the signatures. It wasn't and html signature, nor was it a dynamic img signature... It was a signature with a lot (when I say a lot is a lot) of [font] and [color] and [size] tags on it. I have no idea why it did this crash on IE, but the true is that it did crashed IE this signature. The way I find out what signature was causing this was, since I noticed that with signature viewing turned off the crashed did not happened, so it was almost sure that it had something to do with signatures. I enabled signatures again, and went to one of the threads that used to crashed... Stopped the page was completely loaded and went one by one viewing "single post" of that thread... When I got to this specific post, IE crashed... That way I found what signature was causing this. I deleted the user signature and try it again and it did not crashed... (I attached the text of the causing signature to crash IE if anyone wants to see it)

I'm trying to do something, because this signature problem has gone out of control... We have a rule that the signature space can not be more than 400 pixels width and 300 height, but users keep posting more and bigger pictures on their signatures. Is there a way of controlling the size and the amount of pictures they can set in their signature? For now I'll set a one week penalty for all users and will set the signatures off for everyone, just for them to learn to obey the signature rules. Any suggestions about this?
                  Attached Files

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...