Has the bug in PHP been fixed yet to allow Archiving on Windows Servers?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ocean
    • Mar 2004

Just checking in again to see if Scott had the chance to tinker with this issue or not.
    echo $ocean_signature;

;)

Comment

• Ocean
      • Mar 2004

Any luck determining if IIS users can get this feature to work?
      echo $ocean_signature;

;)

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

I think i recently (last day or so) read over somthing scott posted, and he said no, it will not work under IIS at this time.

You could run apache under windows

Comment

• Ocean
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Zachery

I think i recently (last day or so) read over somthing scott posted, and he said no, it will not work under IIS at this time.

You could run apache under windows

Ick. Apache is great for Linux Servers, and NT Servers - but Windows 2000 Server doesn't need it, and most certainly Windows 2003 Server's IIS is superior in many respects.

However, did Scott ever state why the Archive feature won't work with IIS? And are there any plans to make it work with IIS in the near future?
          echo $ocean_signature;

;)

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

I am fairly sure it is a fault on php / IIS, and not within our powers to fix it.

I disagree, IIS for .net applications and other windows based pages, but apache2 would be several times faster for php based scripts.

Comment

• Ocean
              • Mar 2004

I am fairly sure it is a fault on php / IIS, and not within our powers to fix it.

The last I heard, the problem was a bug in PHP. However, it was also reported that the bug in question has been fixed in current releases.

That's why I was asking about this now. If the Archive feature still doesn't work - I was curious if someone with conclusive knowledge could pipe in as to why, and what needed to be done before it could be made to work as it should.

I disagree, IIS for .net applications and other windows based pages, but apache2 would be several times faster for php based scripts.

There's more than speed, when it comes to judging a Web Server. IIS has many more security options available to it - and it's designed to integrate with Active Directory. If you're only looking at speed, Apache might be better - but when you factor in everything else, I don't think Apache comes out ahead unless you're talking about Linux or older Windows Server OS's.
              echo $ocean_signature;

;)

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

I guess ill go digging into IIS6 on my 2k3 server and see what i make of it

Comment

• MegaHertz
                  • Jun 2003

The Archive Feature does not work for me under Win2K Server and IIS 5 running PHP 4.3.8 as a module.

Comment

• Ocean
                    • Mar 2004

I guess ill go digging into IIS6 on my 2k3 server and see what i make of it

Let me know what you think.
                    echo $ocean_signature;

;)

Comment

• socals
                      • Aug 2004

IIS Hack

I made a hack which allows IIS to run an archive. It is only 8 manual fixes to 2 different php files and that is it!

The PDA function hasn't been fixed and you cannot login using the archive login.

I pretty much just changed the calling convention to query strings. I call it beta since it is a quick hack, and until the PDA and login are working it shouldn't be called a release.

Hack Thread:

It's nice having an archive now though!

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
                        Former vBulletin Developer
                        • Apr 2000
                        • 3.6.x

That hack doesn't "fix" the issue per se, though it does allow the "archive view" to work on IIS.

The purpose of the archive is not a low bandwidth version or anything like that (though it does have the PDA stuff now). It was designed to NOT use query strings (a '?' in the URL) and make all the threads look like static HTML files to increase search engine compatibility (was a more significant issue in the past; Google doesn't tend to have issues with vB's normal URLs).

The hack simply moves the archive back to using normal query strings, which essentially defeats the archive's original purpose.

[Edit: Yeah, I now notice the hack thread basically says all that.]

Comment

• socals
                          • Aug 2004

Yes, i'm sorry I posted so quickly without doing the proper research. I didn't realize the archive was meant for spiders.

I myself like using the archive, since it allows me to see the entire forum layout in one screen. I also think it provides a true "archive" and a low-bandwidth feature that users want to use.

I would think that all non-apache users would like to be able to run an archive, even if it doesn't perform as you originally intended it. Weird enough, you produced a cool feature which users can benefit from, but you disabled it since it didn't do what you originally intended it to do.

What if you add a setting which allows non-apache users to run an archive as a query string? That way it is up to the user to decide if he wants an archive for his users, even if spiders cannot read it?

I just love your product, and hate to see a great feature get pushed aside when we can still get a use out of it. I was excited when I finally got to use the archive feature... I hate to say it, but I could care less if spiders can read it or not. They didn't pay for my copy of vBulletin... I did!

Comment

• cerebro
                            • Mar 2002
                            • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Can be modified that hack to make html static?...for Spider..For google

Comment

• socals
                              • Aug 2004

I doubt it. The underlying problem is the /index.php/f-2.html format. On IIS, the /index.php/ is a directory, not a file.

I would think most web servers wouldn't support this, since the / usually stands for a directory.

My only other thought to get this to work under IIS, would be to force IIS to run the archive script when a 404 doc not found occurs in the /archive root directory. This way, the URL would never be found so your 404 doc not found script would generate the page. (being /archive/index.php)

I don't know if you can tell IIS to run a php page instead of a .htm page to display a 404 error. I tried it myself and couldn't get it to work, but I couldn't even get IIS to call my php script when a 404 doc not found was generated, even though there are settings in IIS to change the standard error output pages.

Anyone else have any thoughts on trying it this way?

Comment

• I, Brian
                                • Feb 2003
                                • 3.6.x

Google and other search engines will spider a default vB 3 install anyway - the difference is simply that spiders, such as for Yahoo and MSN, can be a little more fussy about following links on dynamic pages. HTML pages are standard and most spiders are happy with those - but even still, that doesn't mean to say that spiders will spider all of the static archive.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...