Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chroder
    • Dec 2002

Not marked read

A member just posted saying that vB isn't marking a thread read after he reads them (this has nothing to do with the replying and not being marked read).

It's working for me, so I thought it might just be him. But then another member said it happens to him as well.

Does anyone else have this problem?
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

can you give us abit more info?

cookie timeout?
    browser / os

Comment

• Chroder
      • Dec 2002

I'll ask them. I'm not sure the browser, but I'm 98% sure that they both run Windows.

The guy who brought it up in the first place says it happens only sometimes, and if he clears his cache it seems to work fine until it randomly does it again. The other guy says it happens _all_ the time.

I'll ask them for more details and report back! I just wanted to see if this has ever been brought up before.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

This happens when the browser cache fills up. It happens to me all the time on these forums because I read virtually every post.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• ObiWan
          • Jun 2002
          • 3.6.x

Hi all
          this is a big problem for a lot of guys on my forum since I've upgraded to 3.03.
          The same thinks happens here, in this forum: I read a post, go back and i need to perform a refresh or the post is marked as unread.
          I use windows XP professional and Avant Browser (but the same happens with only IE..

Thanks a lot

cu
          May the force be with you.
          http://www.satnews.tv.it

Comment

• Chroder
            • Dec 2002

So you think it's just a cache issue Steve? If I tell 'em to increase the size of their cache, it could solve the problem?

Comment

• allan grossman
              • Apr 2003

I've got the same problem with a few Firefox users.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                Former Customer Support Manager
                • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Chroder
                So you think it's just a cache issue Steve? If I tell 'em to increase the size of their cache, it could solve the problem?
                Either that or they can empty the cache when it happens. As I said it happens to me on these forums. I really don't worry about it myself, but that's just me.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Chroder
                  • Dec 2002

Alright, the one guy that says it happens 100% of the time says his cache is at a gig. He's using WinXP SP1 w/ all pathes and IE6. I even installed the bugfix for the marked-unread-after-reply bug and it still isn't working for him. Furthermore, he says it works on other forum softwares, just not vB3's.

Is he just being difficult? I don't see how it can work on other forum wares and not work on vB, I mean, they pretty much all do the same thing don't they? It can't just be my forum because it's working perfectly fine for everyone else. So either something is actually wrong with his computer, or he's just saying this to be difficult.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                    Former vBulletin Developer
                    • May 2000
                    • 1.1.x

Are they using the "Linear - Newest first" viewing mode?

Comment

• Chroder
                      • Dec 2002

No, I'm pretty sure it's the Oldest first (the default). It is linear though, I've disabled the other modes.

//edit
                      Just checked via the ACP, "Linear - Oldest First"

Comment

• Chroder
                        • Dec 2002

Bumpy bump.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                          • May 2000
                          • 1.1.x

Have the user try a different browser to see if the problem duplicates.

Comment

• slappy
                            • Apr 2003

Freddie:

Would appreciate it if you could also look at the related problem on this issue, described in my post in the bug tracker here:

We were also having the problem with newreplies and newposts not converting to "read" after reading, including our own posts not being marked as read after we saved them and returned to the Forum. We applied you patch, listed in that thread, and it did cause the posts to be marked as "read" after a poster saved them, as long as they remained on the Forum. But if one then closes their browser and comes back to the Board, all those already read newposts are again marked as "unread."

The only way I have been able to keep them marked as "read" between in and out openings of the Forum is through use of the "mark all forums as read" button. If I click that button, close the Forum and browser (IE6) and then immediately return to the Forum, all threads remain marked as "read." If I do not use that button and return within a few minutes, all those I have already read are again marked as "unread."

Is this a time issue? In otherwords, if the "mark all forums as read" button is NOT pushed, are the marking of read/unread reset because of the cookie? And if so, what changes when the button is pushed, which is not happening when one simply close the browser, restarts it and comes back to the Forum and the already read post are reset to "unread"?

[Edit: By the way, I just checked this issue here by saving my post and going back to Forumhome. I pushed the "newposts" button and my post was listed as "new" but "read." I closed the browser, restarted it, came back to the Forumhome, pushed the "newposts" button again, and my own post was listed as "new" and "unread." So it's happening here also.]

Regards,
                            Last edited by slappy; Sat 17 Jul '04, 1:32pm.
                            Slappy

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                              • May 2000
                              • 1.1.x

Session cookies are used to track the unread/read status of threads that have been updated so if you close the browser, you are going to get the threads showing as unread again. That hasn't changed in any version of vB3. Marking all forums read updates the last visit time of the user such that it is newer than the lastpost of all of the threads and this is why the threads all appear read.

Comment