X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rgitzel
    • May 2004

Migrating changes between servers?

Hi,

I posted a couple weeks back about configuring vB on one server (a test server, say), and then migrating all the changes to another server (for production).

"All the changes" would include templates, of course, as well (hopefully) user groups, forums, permissions, etc, etc. Basically everything but posts.

The answer to my original post described some XML import/export tools, but I haven't been able to find anything in the documentation about them.

I've looked at the documentation for moving servers, which might work if we can bulk-delete the posts. I've also seen the docs for the "ImpEx" system, but it seems to be heavy on the "Imp" and rather light on the "Ex", so it doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for.

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

rodney
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Custom styles and languages can be downloaded from your test forum and uploaded to your public forum by using these features in the Admin CP:

Admin CP -> Styles & Templates -> Download / Upload Styles

Admin CP -> Languages & Phrases -> Download / Upload Languages

Usergroups, forums, and permissions do not transfer so easily. You will need to manually set those up again on your public forum. You can use your test forum as a reference.

ImpEx does just as much exporting as it does importing. To import from one forum to another it has to export from the source forum and then import to the destination forum. ImpEx is meant to handle content (members, posts, threads) more than settings (usergroups, permissions).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...