Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael Dengler
    • Feb 2004

Email notification and Activation email

One of my registered users has not been receiving email notifications lately to his regular blueyonder account. Today he also registered by a different username with a mail.com account to test our email system. His mail.com account didn't receive the activation email with the link. I moved his new username to Registered Users and we posted a thread with that username. I then made a reply. No notification was received at his mail.com mailbox. Email notification was enabled when we ran the test.

Could it be an ISP problem? A firewall problem? A modem problem?

His IP addresses are:

I've checked my mail box for notifications which have bounced and none have bounced so why could that be happening? It's being received somewhere but where? What could be causing it not to transfer to his mailbox. Must be related to IP address or ISP.

Can we test his IP addresses somehow?
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Is anyone else having this problem? Are any other email features working?

If this is an isolated problem then the cause is more than likely a spam filter on his end.

Comment

• Michael Dengler
      • Feb 2004

Thanks, Jake, that's what we think. He has just found an email notification in his mail box which was received 1 hour and 20 mins after I PMed him. This notification usually takes seconds for me.

Comment

• Michael Dengler
        • Feb 2004

Just as a matter of interest, what are some ways of testing the queuing system and delivery because I have noticed that some PM notifications are being received later than usual and in some cases an earlier PM notification is arriving together or later than the last PM notification.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
          • Dec 2000
          • 3.6.x

Are you using the mail queue?

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options -> Use Mailqueue System

If so, then emails will be sent when the appropriate scheduled task runs:

Admin CP -> Scheduled Tasks -> Scheduled Task Manager

Comment

• Oblivion Knight
            • Oct 2002
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
            Is anyone else having this problem? Are any other email features working?
            I seem to be having the same problem, some Hotmail accounts don't receive the activation e-mail and neither do the majority of AOL accounts.

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options -> Use Mailqueue System
            "Account activation, lost passwords and other vital emails are sent instantly regardless of this setting."

Comment

• Jake Bunce
              • Dec 2000
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Oblivion Knight
              I seem to be having the same problem, some Hotmail accounts don't receive the activation e-mail and neither do the majority of AOL accounts.
              Hotmail, AOL, and I think Yahoo are all known for blocking vBulletin activation emails with their spam filters.

Comment

• MJM
                • Dec 2001

Hotmail, AOL, and I think Yahoo are all known for blocking vBulletin activation emails with their spam filters.
                Does vB have a solution to this in the works?
                Many of our core members use either of the above accounts.

My only current solution to the above, sad to say, is to not require email verification for activation.

Another option I'm thinking of is to require verification on registration, then on notification of a new user registration, to email each account with the activation info ...

Mark
                Mark

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                  • Dec 2000
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by MJM
                  Does vB have a solution to this in the works?
                  No solution that I know of. It's a problem with those spam filters, not with vBulletin, so it's hard for us to do anything about it.

Comment

• MJM
                    • Dec 2001

I'm sure that business internet/software providers are just as concerned as their affected customers about this technical glitch.

It's ironic that the technology that helps prevent spam (user activation verification and spam filter/blockers) are also part of the problem.

Mark
                    Mark

Comment

• Oblivion Knight
                      • Oct 2002
                      • 3.8.x

Ok thanks, been wondering if this was a problem on my end for a while now.

Comment

• Michael Dengler
                        • Feb 2004

This fellow has sorted one of his problems out. He is now receiving notifications to his first username at blueyonder.co.uk. He must have accidently put a filter on mail from my website. The notifications were redirected to the deleted items folder where he found them.

He is still having problems with his 2nd user account at mail.com. The mailbox is not receiving any email from my website including the activation email. I ran a test with a hotmail account today and had no problems so it must be some kind of spam filter that is stopping it.

It doesn't seem to like: World A-Team Cricket Forums Mailer <[email protected]> but accepts activation mail from:
                        [email protected] It appears that it is identifying our email as a "mailer" and filtering it as spam. Why is that? I have emailed mail.com and told them of the problem. Just waiting for a reply.

A large portion of my members use hotmail, yahoo and aol accounts. Most have no trouble completing their registration but a few do. Not sure whether it is spam blockers at work but I'll investigate this possibility in future.

Off the subject: I'm using quotes in this post - but why wasn't the quote by Oblivion Knight included when it was included in the post I have quoted?

Is there a setting to prevent nested quotes?

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                          • Dec 2000
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Michael Dengler
                          Is there a setting to prevent nested quotes?
                          There is no setting that I know of. That is just the normal behavior.

Comment

• Michael Dengler
                            • Feb 2004

Sorry, the quotes are nested in Private Messages, not posts.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                              • Dec 2000
                              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Michael Dengler
                              Sorry, the quotes are nested in Private Messages, not posts.
                              Oh.

I am not aware of any setting for that either. That is just the normal behavior. Of course you can always change the normal behavior by modifying the files.

Comment