• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aurous
    • Apr 2004

"We could not activate your account because this web address is not valid"

I am getting a lot of emails from new users regarding this error message:

----------------------------------------------------------

We could not activate your account because this web address is not valid. Make sure that you have the entire address from the email, and that your email client has not split the address over several lines.

Please try again with the full address from the email that you received. If it still does not work, try filling in the activation form:
    Activation form
    If you do not know your activation code, you can find it in the email that was sent to you when you first registered. To have it sent again, please click here:
    Send new email with activation code.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Whats the issue here? and how do I fix it?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

The main clue is here:

Make sure that you have the entire address from the email, and that your email client has not split the address over several lines.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Aurous
      • Apr 2004

Well, I am not blind! I posted that message, so chances are I read it once before posting it. You shouldve thot of that before replying.

Anyway, I've tried clicking on the actual link (complete link), and even tried entering the activation code manually, but it gave me the same error.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Aurous
        Well, I am not blind! I posted that message, so chances are I read it once before posting it. You shouldve thot of that before replying.

Anyway, I've tried clicking on the actual link (complete link), and even tried entering the activation code manually, but it gave me the same error.
        No need to be rude Aurous.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Aurous
          • Apr 2004

^ Another helpful reply!

Well I'm sorry if I was rude, but it gets annoying after you activate over 20 usernames manually in a single day as users cant activate them using their activation code. Although this problem is not with everyone, but just a few users. Is this a bug in 3.0.1 ?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

I just registered on your forums as vbtest and had no problem with the activation link. This is a problem with the email client(s) that some people are using. It is splitting the URL.

P.S. Please delete the vbtest user.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Aurous
              • Apr 2004

No its not a problem with email clients, but the activation link/number generated by vB. Users fwded the activation email to me. I tried using the complete URL, and it gives the same error message.

This doesnt happen to all users, but just a few of them. I was wondering if a new activation number is generated when users re-request their activation code, which is not stored in the db properly.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

If it were a problem with that number, then it would happen all the time. The fact is if they click on an incomplet URL, this will invalidate that number. Therefore by the time they send this to you it has already been invalidated. That make more seense now?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Aurous
                  • Apr 2004

I dont understand the logic behind that.

So if a user clicks on a broken link for example:

This is the actual link:
                  xxxxxx.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, xxxxxx.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Users click on a broker link, for example:
                  http://www.xxxxxxx..com/forums/register.php?a=ac

Then how does vb actually know what username and activation code to invalidate?

Comment

• Aurous
                    • Apr 2004

Also, can someone explain, why did vB implement something like this to begin with?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

Sorry since I didn't program this I cannot comment on the logic. i was only trying to point out what the actual problem is and point to a way to fix it.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Aurous
                        • Apr 2004

Thanks for all your help Steve.

Although, it didnt really solve my problem as I still get email from users regardig this problem. Is there anyone who can help me out or do I need to get a support ticket?

Cheers
                        Aurous

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

A support ticket for what? As I said the activation email worked just fine and the link displayed exactly like it's designed to. There's not really anything we can do about how the links are displayed on other email clients without rewriting the code. Hence this isn't really a support issue as much as it is a suggestion for future versions.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Aurous
                            • Apr 2004

I think what I can do is remove the activation link completely and only send the activation code and send them the link to the activation page (http://www.xxxxxxxx.com/forums/register.php?a=ver).

This way users can click on the page (which hopefully wont break) in the email and users can simply enter the activation code.

If I still get users complaining abt activation issues, then its definitely a bug in vB.

I will keep you guys updated on this.

Thanks

Aurous

Comment

• Steve Machol
                              • Jul 2000

You could edit the activation email phrase to change this. Personally none of my users have been having a problem but if you have a lot of AOL users this may be an issue for some of them.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...