X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Virtex-II
    • Apr 2004
    • 4.2.X

Private and invisible forums

Hi guys I was trying to create some private forums that can be seen and accessed only by some usergroups....can u tell me how this can be done?

Thanks
    Virtex-II
    If you are italian send me a pm!

(Se sei italiano contattami in privato!)
  • the Sandman
    • Jul 2003
    • 3.7.x

AdminCP > Forums & Moderators > Forum Permissions > Quick Forum Permission Setup
    The Admin Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators
    Articles - Forum Review
    Interviews:
    KierScottJerryAndreasSteveWayneJakeFlorisLogicianErwin
    Paul M

Comment

• Jake Bunce
      • Dec 2000
      • 3.6.x

Go to your:

Admin CP -> Forums & Mdoerators -> Forum Permissions

Set the permissions for that forum appropriately. Setting the Can View Forum permission to No will deny access to and hide the forum from a group.

Then Go to your:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Forum Listings Display Options -> Hide Private Forums

Enable this option.

Then go to your:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> General Settings -> Enable Access Masks

Enable this option.

That should do it.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

First, set 'Hide Private Forums' to 'Yes' in vBulletin Options. Then set the forum permissions for each usergroup accordingly.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Virtex-II
          • Apr 2004
          • 4.2.X

Thanks guys I will try and I will let u know

My Best Regards
          Virtex-II

Comment

• Virtex-II
            • Apr 2004
            • 4.2.X

One more question.......How does the system recognise that those particular forums or boards are private

One more thing....what's the difference between changing the settings from the Usergroups Manager and the Forum Permissions menu?
            When I open the Forum Permissions page I find the settings I have chosen from the Usergroups Manager and those settings are recognised as Standard and not custom....is that correct or do I have to select the custom option

Thanks....have you all a good sunday
            Virtex-II
            Last edited by Virtex-II; Sat 24 Apr '04, 11:53pm.

Comment

• the Sandman
              • Jul 2003
              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Virtex-II
              One more question.......How does the system recognise that those particular forums or boards are private
              If you have created forums with access limited to certain Usergroups, then they are private and vBulletin recognizes them as such.
              One more thing....what's the difference between changing the settings from the Usergroups Manager and the Forum Permissions menu?
              When I open the Forum Permissions page I find the settings I have chosen from the Usergroups Manager and those settings are recognised as Standard and not custom....is that correct or do I have to select the custom option
              When you set the "Forum Viewing Permissions" for a particular Usergroup Manager these will be the default settings for this group. These settings can be overridden on a forum by forum basis though using the Forum Permissions.
              The Admin Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators
              Articles - Forum Review
              Interviews:
              KierScottJerryAndreasSteveWayneJakeFlorisLogicianErwin
              Paul M

Comment

• Alex
                • Mar 2001

While we discuss this...
                Is it possible, to have one forum hidden (only shown to the usergroups, which have access) and another to be seen, but not accessed?
                Reason is, I want a hidden staff forum and have another forum, which is only accessable after applying for it. Therefor the second forum should be seen with a link to the application form to get access in the forum description.
                Greetz Alex
                Spasschat-Team - the best chat, you've ever seen :)

Comment

• Virtex-II
                  • Apr 2004
                  • 4.2.X

Sorry guys I am really confused....can u make an example on how to create a private and invisible forum and restrict access.....

Maybe moderators can write something for that and put it in the subforum...I think most users would like to know that

My best regards
                  Virtex-II

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                    • Dec 2000
                    • 3.6.x

The instructions are in my post. Do exactly what I posted and you will have a private forum. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Comment

• Virtex-II
                      • Apr 2004
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
                      The instructions are in my post. Do exactly what I posted and you will have a private forum. If you have any specific questions let me know.
                      Can u please explain me what are masks and how do I have to set them?

If I set Can View Forums to NO will my mebers keep on seeing those forums that aren't private?

Thanks for your care

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                        • Dec 2000
                        • 3.6.x

Can u please explain me what are masks and how do I have to set them?
                        Access masks are used to set user-level permissions (not needed in your case) and to allow private forums (forums which a user doesn't have access to) to be completely hidden from view.

If I set Can View Forums to NO will my mebers keep on seeing those forums that aren't private?
                        There will keep on seeing forums where Can View Forum is set to Yes, and not those that are set to No. This permission is set for specific usergroups for specific forums. If a user is a member of a group that doesn't have access then they won't have access, while members of other groups that have access will have access.

Comment

• Virtex-II
                          • Apr 2004
                          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
                          Access masks are used to set user-level permissions (not needed in your case) and to allow private forums (forums which a user doesn't have access to) to be completely hidden from view.

There will keep on seeing forums where Can View Forum is set to Yes, and not those that are set to No. This permission is set for specific usergroups for specific forums. If a user is a member of a group that doesn't have access then they won't have access, while members of other groups that have access will have access.
                          Thanks Jake I will try to do it following your istruction

All the best
                          Virtex-II

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...