X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mtha
    • Oct 2002
    • 3.6.x

vB's eMails go to yahoo BULK MAIL :(

I have problems sending emails to yahoo addresses. many emails go though BULK MAIL, from my server.

So, I did some sending email tests:

1. Using ACP/Diagnistics/Email test: it works OK

2. Using ACP/Send Email to Users, with different FROM email addresses. it works OK

3. ACP/Search User/Sending Activation code ... to my testing account with yahoo email address: BULK MAIL

4. ACP/Search User/Sending Password reminder ... to my testing account with yahoo email address: BULK MAIL

5. view User profile / Send email to user ... to my testing account with yahoo email address: BULK MAIL

So, I also did some test with vBulletin.com forum (changing my email to Yahoo) :

INBOX:
    1: vBulletin Community Forum Mailer Action Required to Verify Membership for vBulletin Community Forum! Tue 04/06 2k

BULK MAIL
    2: vBulletin Community Forum Mailer Action Required to Activate Membership for vBulletin Community Forum! Tue 04/06 3k

3: vBulletin Community Forum Mailer Your login details for vBulletin Community Forum Tue 04/06 2k

(step 1: change email to yahoo.com email address, if your email address is not => receiving Verify for membership email
    step 2: request for resend activation email
    step 3: request for resend password)

Anyone can confirm this, please.

I would think that there's something not right, when vB sending out email, that being recognized as bulk mail.

As providing a tool for members, vB should not expect its email to be put in to BULK MAIL.

Should this be something need to investigate, and fixed ASAP?
    Last edited by mtha; Fri 9 Apr '04, 10:55pm.
  • hdtvoice
    • Jun 2003

yes, same problem here..
    i wish an option was introduced in next revision where we get to choose the subject line for each email....

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Enable the -f option in your Admin Control Panel under vBulletin Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by hdtvoice
        yes, same problem here..
        i wish an option was introduced in next revision where we get to choose the subject line for each email....
        You can do that now... All the email subjects are in the Language System within the "Email Subject Text" Phrase Group.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• hdtvoice
          • Jun 2003

Where is this located? Can you be more specific.....

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          You can do that now... All the email subjects are in the Language System within the "Email Subject Text" Phrase Group.

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

AdminCP > Language & Phrases > Phrase Manager > All the phrases that vBulletin uses are located here

Comment

• John E. Lester
              • Mar 2004

I am having this problem too....

....so what do I have to change in the Subject text to make Yahoo stop classifying this as BULK MAIL?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

Enabling the "-f parameter" as outlined above will do more to stop bulk mail classification than changing the email subject.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• mtha
                  • Oct 2002
                  • 3.6.x

Enable the -f option in your Admin Control Panel under vBulletin Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options.
                  When I use -f option, here's the error that I get

The mailing function returned an error while trying to send the mail.
                  The following errors were outputted by PHP when attempting to send mail:

Warning: mail(): SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The fifth parameter is disabled in SAFE MODE. in /home/virtual/site1/fst/home/forums/public_html/admincp/diagnostic.php on line 279

Check your mail server to ensure it is configured correctly to allow PHP to send mail from it. You should also check your mail server's error log for more diagnostic information.

and, as I stated above, the error occure HERE at vbulletin.com forum too, as I have checked (see the first post)

Comment

• cyburbia
                    • Aug 2001
                    • 3.7.x

I wouldn't recommend this for everybody, but I just banned new registration from Yahoo and Hotmail addresses. It hasn't affected the amount of new registrations; I think that most of those with Yahoo and Hotmail addresses have other e-mail addresses they can use.

For my regular board users with Hotmail and Yahoo addresses, I've offered them e-mail accounts on my server (cyburbia.org).
                    Cyburbia Forums - a third place for urban planners
                    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums

Comment

• SaN-DeeP
                      • Dec 2003
                      • 1.1.x

I have enabled the -f option..
                      but still receving mails in the BULK mails folder of yahoo and hotmail
                      cant, block these 2 domains as MAX users use this ACCOUNTS..

please provide some SOLUTIIONS.. for this.
                      all Emails Are send using this SUBJECT
                      From Name - Tech-Arena Mailer
                      From Email - Management@****.com
                      (*** is my actual domain)

and all the default SUBJECTS lines in phrase manager.

Where exactly to change the FROM Name ?
                      i would instead just like to MENTION something else apart from that WORD Mailer.

Thnx.
                      Sandy...
                      TechArena - TechArena Community - Technology News - Tools Download - Tech Video - Gamer Guide - Hardware Review

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        Former Customer Support Manager
                        • Jul 2000

The 'From' address comes from the webmaster's email address you set in vBulletin Options.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• daemon
                          • Jun 2003
                          • 3.5.x

Would removing the X-Mailer part of the email help?
                          Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

• Dragon
                            • May 2000

If there's really a bang (!) at the end of the subject line, take it out.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...