X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Contramontanum
    • Feb 2004
    • 3.8.x

Backing up DB

I am going to upgrade to Gold and therefore will be backing up my DB. In the new manual there's a fairly detailed explanation on how to do this via SSH/Telnet or phpMyAdmin. However, in the CP I have with my webhost I can perform an automated backup by selecting the DB and clicking backup. I have been doing this regularly. Restoring the DB is (supposedly) just as easy. Is this option good enough or do I need to go with the detailed instructions in the manual (I don't even know what SSH/Telnet or phpMyAdmin is)?
    Chop Dewey
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Since I am not that adept in the ways of site migration and all that kind of stuff, a friend of mine who owns a hosting company is having problems moving the board over to his server. He copied everything from my previous server over to his puter, I updated my DNS, he transferred everything over to his server, the forum won't

Thats a fairly even more detailed way to go though SSH, its not a hard process it can just be confusing at first .

Im not sure how your webhosts backups would be done though your control panel, so i cannot say how reliable if at all they would be. Your best option if its possible is to backup via ssh

Comment

• tubedogg
      • Feb 2001

Originally posted by Contramontanum
      I am going to upgrade to Gold and therefore will be backing up my DB. In the new manual there's a fairly detailed explanation on how to do this via SSH/Telnet or phpMyAdmin. However, in the CP I have with my webhost I can perform an automated backup by selecting the DB and clicking backup. I have been doing this regularly. Restoring the DB is (supposedly) just as easy. Is this option good enough or do I need to go with the detailed instructions in the manual (I don't even know what SSH/Telnet or phpMyAdmin is)?
      I would ask your host how the backup is performed. If it makes a copy somewhere of all the files/directories that comprise your databases, then that is quite sufficient. If however they use a PHP script to do it, then you really should do it yourself using mysqldump through SSH or Telnet.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...